2009 Ford Ranger opinions

njc110381

Hi guys. I'm after feedback on the 4x4 2007- 2.5Tdci Ford Ranger. I'm looking at changing my old 2002 model which has been very good.

If you've got one or have had one, how did it treat you? Anything to look out for? Common faults?

I'd appreciate your feedback. It's a fair bit of money to lay out on something that I know very little about. I took the one I'm after for a good long test drive today and it seemed nice. No scary rattles, in pretty good condition with low miles, good MOT history and RAC car passport... That's about the total of my knowledge though! I was just pleased to find a fairly high spec truck with lash down rails - generally I only see them on the basic models because it seems us "builder" sorts don't need to be comfortable! :001_rolleyes:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a 2006 model and its mega! I've done 22k miles in a year of owning it. and apart from a service which cost me £30 I've not spent a penny on it.

A friend has just got rid of his 2009 model after its stared using oil.. with 45k on it...

Mine has covered 160k miles..

All in all they're good trucks.

I've got a 2008 tipper, It had 32k on it when I purchased it three years ago, it's now done over 60k and it's gone straight through its test every year. Apart from a service each year I haven't had to spend a penny on it. Ive also got two defender 130 double cab's and a izuzu d max and out of them all the ranger is the best towing vehicle I've got.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

The one I have now is the same engine as the 2006.... I'm seriously considering changing it for a 2009... It had better not start burning oil at 45k!

The newer model is so much more refined to drive. I can't fault the old one, but the performance is rather dated.

I to went from 02 ranger to 08 and although i loved my old one i love the new one even more. Nice to drive yearly service Had no 4x4 but simple pipe fix sorted that.

IMG_20141202_133715.jpg.262dcf7d73d0302b3f17c72105ac6de6.jpg[/ATTACH]

put right and wrong way up pic hoping that one might be right way up

DAM pics upside down again HELP

IMG_20141202_133641.jpg.d50eae8d40dcb06396caa6750c038719.jpg

i had a 56 plate 2.5 tdci, much more gutsy than the old 2.5, 143 bhp i think, gearbox a bit notchy but not a problem, well equipped in the cab (thunder), still had the vague steering tho, mine had done 144k when it shot the head gasket, caught in time with no other damage, i would have the 3.0 auto next time tho, coz im a lazy bastard ha ha, had general grabber at2 tyres and performed well off road and would return 30/34 mpg on road

Mike

The 2009 will have the higher ratio gearbox which I think was used from late 2006 up until the major revamp in late 2009.

Best of luck towing 3000kg with it is all I can say :)

But if it's not going to be towing it isn't too bad, apart from the usual terrible quality Ford paint, and there is a known gearbox issue.

Thanks guys. Seems that generally opinions are fairly positive.

I won't be heavy towing with it. Couple of tons tops and not regularly. The higher gear ratio is nice for day to day plodding about. It's so much quieter than my current one.

I'm not sure on in cab options. It's the XLT spec, whatever that means?! It's got air con, electric windows and the radio works. I'm happy! I need to try to find out what's in it. I haven't really paid much attention beyond what I've already mentioned. I was impressed with the heater. The engine seems to warm up much faster than the old model and the heater feels like it could melt the interior if I leave it on for too long?!

I turned my laptop over for the pictures. That looks good. Nice chip capacity I would have thought.

I just put a deposit on it. I'm picking it up on Wednesday. If the head lasts until 140k for me I'll be happy. I won't have it by then! It's on 37k at the moment.

Well I've put a couple of hundred miles on it and it seems nice. So much more refined than the old model.

The gear ratio point has been noticed for sure. 30mph seems to want 3rd rather than 4th and it doesn't sound comfortable in 5th until I'm doing around 50mph. In the old one I could get down to 30 in 5th and it would get over it, 4th at 30 was a doddle.

On the motorway the difference is huge. At 70mph it's hard to tell the thing is even running. My old one was giving me plenty of notice that it was working by that point!

I've got a set of Kumho MT51 to go on it and am considering doing a remap. My friendly local tuning company seems to think the power can be taken to 180bhp with ease and with nearly 100nm of added torque too. I like the sound of that!