White emulsion on choke butterfly?

TimberCutterDartmoor

New fuel or not.. it sounds from your description that moisture is involved some where. "Running a bit Funny"..."starts poorly"...points to some moisture in the mix . I would be looking to eliminate the fuel that is in /was in the saw and pop some fresh mix in the saw. Establish a datum by getting different fuel that you see working in another saw. Its not imposable to get wet from the air causing a emulsion ...but to have a long term affect ...more likely to having a fuel issue of some sort I feel. Cant be much though or hydraulic lock would be posable. My 2 penny worth anyhow .

Edit: Stihl saw?...they spit some fuel back towards the air filter so you could get the gunge showing there .

Tried a different mix - made no difference. Original fuel worked fine in another saw.

Echo.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tried a different mix - made no difference. Original fuel worked fine in another saw.

Echo.

Hummm...Very odd. I take it you have packed it in for the night...Tomorrow after leaving the saw somewhere warm see what you get. Take it that the saw will run but just not proper the last time you tried it?

Logic says without a liquid cooling system there really is 2 posable places moisture can come from so a warm dryer place to test in the morning should show /not show something.

Spotted it could be Echo option while you posted...Remembered you had Echo.

Edited by Sawchip

Hummm...Very odd. I take it you have packed it in for the night...Tomorrow after leaving the saw somewhere warm see what you get. Take it that the saw will run but just not proper the last time you tried it?

Logic says without a liquid cooling system there really is 2 posable places moisture can come from so a warm dryer place to test in the morning should show /not show something.

Last time after shop intervention (it got there in a warm car) it ran was lunchtime; would start not bad and idle ok but completely die on any throttle. Checked H+L, no progress made. By this time we'd lost 3 hours on this saw so enough was enough.

Last time after shop intervention (it got there in a warm car) it ran was lunchtime; would start not bad and idle ok but completely die on any throttle. Checked H+L, no progress made. By this time we'd lost 3 hours on this saw so enough was enough.

Yup..I can see 3 hrs is a dead loss ! The shop proved it ran to you ? "die on throttle" sounds as though impulse and or the carb is not back together right after they took it apart to put bitz in it ?

My thoughts on the emulsion are thats its due to condensation around the coldest area of the carb which is the throat. I reckon the emulsion may be made up of moisture absorbed into the ethanol content of the fuel as ethanol absorbs its own weight in water. This saturated fuel has the adhered to the oil particles of the mix and emulsified with it to form this scum.

I know TCD is a great believer in Redline and I know nothing about this oil, but I know that many 2 stroke oils will not fully combine with ethanol and this could be the cause of the scum.

This 'scum' on the carb throat will do no harm, its just messy. But if the same scum accumulates on the mesh filter in the carb it will be a different story and the reported problems could arise.

This is just my theory, but I reckon its worth a look at that gauze, although it should of course have been done at the shop.

I would have also asked if it was Tesco fuel, but as its you, TCD, I know I need not ask.

But I think I would try some totally different fuel from a different garage, or maybe even some Asp........., mmm, Nah, It don't think you will go that far John.

My thoughts on the emulsion are thats its due to condensation around the coldest area of the carb which is the throat. I reckon the emulsion may be made up of moisture absorbed into the ethanol content of the fuel as ethanol absorbs its own weight in water. This saturated fuel has the adhered to the oil particles of the mix and emulsified with it to form this scum.

I know TCD is a great believer in Redline and I know nothing about this oil, but I know that many 2 stroke oils will not fully combine with ethanol and this could be the cause of the scum.

This 'scum' on the carb throat will do no harm, its just messy. But if the same scum accumulates on the mesh filter in the carb it will be a different story and the reported problems could arise.

This is just my theory, but I reckon its worth a look at that gauze, although it should of course have been done at the shop.

I would have also asked if it was Tesco fuel, but as its you, TCD, I know I need not ask.

But I think I would try some totally different fuel from a different garage, or maybe even some Asp........., mmm, Nah, It don't think you will go that far John.

Well one disadvantage of RL is poe basestock can be hydroscopic. But all the other saws have been running fine from the same can today.

Aspen, yeah I'm signing up seriously.

Mesh filter in the carb was spotless apparently.

Interestingly, the fuel came from an Esso forecourt with a Tesco Shop. But the saw was just as problematic on the shops fuel mix.

Aspen, yeah I'm signing up seriously.

As you can guess John, I am pleased to see that comment.

More and more Pro users are coming on board now and Aspen sales are increasing rapidly. November saw a national increase of over 50% compared with november last year.

There has never been a better time to start using Aspen now that the price to Pro (Bulk) users has dropped with the introduction of the 'Bulk User RRP' effective from 1st December.

I would also love to hear the outcome on your saw if you ever get it fixed.

As you can guess John, I am pleased to see that comment.

More and more Pro users are coming on board now and Aspen sales are increasing rapidly. November saw a national increase of over 50% compared with november last year.

There has never been a better time to start using Aspen now that the price to Pro (Bulk) users has dropped with the introduction of the 'Bulk User RRP' effective from 1st December.

I would also love to hear the outcome on your saw if you ever get it fixed.

Sorry to derail the thread, and I know the price has been discussed before, but how much is Aspen coming in at? Please feel free to PM me if you don't want to say on the public forum.