Palax blade

Dorset Logger

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did blade go mate?

Haven't had chance to fit it yet, had to get 50 ton away from a site last weekend so they could plough headland and the zetor decided to register it's protest by eating the seals in the brake master cylinders.:thumbdown:

Got a mate running billet splitter for me this weekend so hoping to have Sunday afternoon swapping blade.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Any joy mate?

Finally got blade fitted, had a new lad start helping me with firewood and was reluctant for him to learn on a new blade.

Have only run about 5 ton through machine but am impressed with the blade.

Runs very quiet with just a high pitched hum as it cuts.

Was a little worried it might run rough because of having a lot less teeth than the previous blade but it's very smooth and takes almost no effort to cut seasoned hardwood billets approx 8" diameter.

It's a tiny bit thinner then the old blade so on the plus side there is a little bit less waste but I suppose there will be more deflection if a log twists in the cradle, don't know if that will effect the long term life of the blade.

Much less dust in the chip than the old blade which was becoming a problem as the blade deteriorated , wasn't nice having to wear a mask all day.

It was only after removing the old blade I realised just how bad it had got with more damaged or missing teeth than good ones.

I'm sending it to the saw doctors but if it's going to be more than £150 to re-tip and sharpen I might just buy another eddesso blade.

Hope this helps anybody who might be looking for a new/second blade for their machine.

-Andy

These look like the blades that come fitted to petrol powered saw benches. I have a 28" blade on mine and I find that because the blade is quite thin, they do shimmy a bit. I thought it was a faulty blade at first and had the seller send me out another blade, but that is the same so just accept that is how they are.