Hitting a parked vehicle and not leaving details

kevinjohnsonmbe

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How'd you get on?

Form filling, witness details etc...

Perhaps it's karma since I was in a similar situation in Polperro a couple of months ago when I witnessed a selfish, inconsiderate and unsafe driver hit a parked car then drive off. I left a note for the car owner (that's an old gag Mr B!) giving my phone number as witness and the offending vehicle details. The car owner was very grateful and the police were in touch to get a statement for prosecution. Hopefully this one will go the same way.

You have to fill the forms in then they get sent to the collisions unit for further action. It has to be in the public interest to go to prosecution. Desk officer said because she stopped, got out and looked at it, then drove off it's more likely they will prosecute.

Another point I'll try and focus on in future is to find out where the camera coverage is in supermarkets etc, and always park in coverage area. May seem obvious but I'll pay attention from now on.

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

• 1 month later...

Update:

I doubt it will come as any great surprise that my scorn and disdain of 'officialdom' as represented by the local constabulary and the civil service has been further bolstered by the ineptitude and inefficiency that has been demonstrated by D&C Police and the DVSA.

Form V888 despatched to DVSA mid December - fully and comprehensively completed.

Incident report form similarly completed after a 40 mile round trip to find the nearest police counter service.

Form V888 returned to me early January with an additional request for photographs of the damage and quotes for damage repair - this is not stipulated or requested in any of the data fields on the form V888.

So I duly (begrudgingly) sent the form back for processing with photographs and quotes.

Today I get a phone call from duty muppet at DVSA asking for contact details of the witnesses and what they saw. The DPA irony not being lost on me, I pointed out that this further additional information is not a stated requirement on the form and enquired if it was the personal requirement of a low level official seeking to impose and reassure themselves of their own self importance by deviating from that which appears to be departmental policy requirements.

Needless to say, that didn't go down particularly well so I thought I'd just as well continue while I was on a roll and point out that iaw DPA, I would need to send DVSA a copy of my DPA form for them to complete and return to me before I would be able to release 3rd party personal data...... They hung up......

So I can't see the information of the other driver being released by DVSA, but at least there's one civil servant in a job that doesn't produce or achieve anything though....

All is not lost however!

Yesterday I received a letter from D&C constabulary Collisions & Ticket Section.

Great news, they have provided the details of the owner of the other vehicle in case I want to pursue it in a civil action.

Not such great news, despite the 2 independent witness statements, they have decided not to prosecute. Why I asked the lady that made the decision? Because the other driver claimed not to have been aware that she may have had a collision - oh, that's all fine then. Err, no. There are 2 witnesses, but she was very convincing when I spoke to her on the phone...

Perhaps I shouldn't have, but I have, spoken to 1 of the 2 witnesses to clarify in my mind if there was anyway the driver could have a realistic claim to being unaware of the collision. The witness (complete stranger to me) was incandescent with rage at the suggestion that it could have gone unnoticed and the blatant dishonesty of the other party.

All this was relayed back to D&C who have undertaken to reopen the case on the basis that if the witnesses specifically state that, in their opinion, the other party could not have been unaware, then they may proceed to prosecute.

In summary:

If you want anything from DVSA, be prepared to be dicked around unnecessarily, provide all sorts of supplementary and spurious data at the whim of the clown with the desk who seeks to implement DPA but clearly has no real understanding of it, and ultimately achieve SFA.

Then expect to have to tell the police how to take witness statements....

TBC...... :thumbup:

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

You are dissing the wrong people.

Its not the DVSA but the DVLA that are responsible for licences & vehicle registrations.

Don't let accuracy get in the way of a good story:biggrin:

Seriously though, with all the acronyms, it becomes confusing as to who you need to talk to or even have been talking to - that's even after you've managed to talk after being on a call waiting system, being re-directed or told that the person you need only works monday to tuesday afternoon (but on annual l/maternity/paternity or bereavement leave)

Update:

I doubt it will come as any great surprise that my scorn and disdain of 'officialdom' as represented by the local constabulary and the civil service has been further bolstered by the ineptitude and inefficiency that has been demonstrated by D&C Police and the DVSA.

Form V888 despatched to DVSA mid December - fully and comprehensively completed.

Incident report form similarly completed after a 40 mile round trip to find the nearest police counter service.

Form V888 returned to me early January with an additional request for photographs of the damage and quotes for damage repair - this is not stipulated or requested in any of the data fields on the form V888.

So I duly (begrudgingly) sent the form back for processing with photographs and quotes.

Today I get a phone call from duty muppet at DVSA asking for contact details of the witnesses and what they saw. The DPA irony not being lost on me, I pointed out that this further additional information is not a stated requirement on the form and enquired if it was the personal requirement of a low level official seeking to impose and reassure themselves of their own self importance by deviating from that which appears to be departmental policy requirements.

Needless to say, that didn't go down particularly well so I thought I'd just as well continue while I was on a roll and point out that iaw DPA, I would need to send DVSA a copy of my DPA form for them to complete and return to me before I would be able to release 3rd party personal data...... They hung up......

So I can't see the information of the other driver being released by DVSA, but at least there's one civil servant in a job that doesn't produce or achieve anything though....

All is not lost however!

Yesterday I received a letter from D&C constabulary Collisions & Ticket Section.

Great news, they have provided the details of the owner of the other vehicle in case I want to pursue it in a civil action.

Not such great news, despite the 2 independent witness statements, they have decided not to prosecute. Why I asked the lady that made the decision? Because the other driver claimed not to have been aware that she may have had a collision - oh, that's all fine then. Err, no. There are 2 witnesses, but she was very convincing when I spoke to her on the phone...

Perhaps I shouldn't have, but I have, spoken to 1 of the 2 witnesses to clarify in my mind if there was anyway the driver could have a realistic claim to being unaware of the collision. The witness (complete stranger to me) was incandescent with rage at the suggestion that it could have gone unnoticed and the blatant dishonesty of the other party.

All this was relayed back to D&C who have undertaken to reopen the case on the basis that if the witnesses specifically state that, in their opinion, the other party could not have been unaware, then they may proceed to prosecute.

In summary:

If you want anything from DVSA, be prepared to be dicked around unnecessarily, provide all sorts of supplementary and spurious data at the whim of the clown with the desk who seeks to implement DPA but clearly has no real understanding of it, and ultimately achieve SFA.

Then expect to have to tell the police how to take witness statements....

TBC...... :thumbup:

I get planning officers hanging up on me:biggrin: One refused to deal with me for almost a year:lol:

Sorry Kev, but your post has cheered me up no end - Sinking into paranoia myself, thinking that officialdom is just out to get me:biggrin:

Edited by Gary Prentice

If your asking me, your better off just claiming on your insurgence and bein done with it...

I expect you're bein given the run around for a reason, why waste money on a case when you have insurance to cover the damage....

Another thing I wouldn't do. is get ratty on the phone to those you're talking to, they have ways of ignoring you after they put the down or loosing paperwork relating to your case..

Then favours might be called on friends in other departments....

Be polite patient and groveling and hope it all ends well.

I can kinda better that account.

Left the Octavia parked in a proper roadside parking bay.

Came back to find the drivers door mirror hanging off.

Simply popped the SD card out of the live RoadHawk camera.

Established the veh type, colour and reg. that had cleaved it off on the way passed, braked, paused, and drove on.

Asked my insurers how to proceed.

I gotta make a claim.

Insurance term was near up.

Bugger flately denied the incident (despite the forwarded footage)

Insurance went up virtually *4 fold due to outstanding claim

AND

All I eventually got paid was the bare repair cost, nowt for my lost time (while on a family holiday) buying a spare SD card etc etc.

I just hope the other driver was properly screwed over by his insurer, for lying.

so

good luck

marcus

P.S.

*If I had paid the exhorbinate increased insurance premimum, I presume that would have been money lost, i.e. unrecoverable, until after the claim had been settled, took about 6 months.

I fortunately used Admiral who were most understanding(I made a full honest declaration re the incident)

Edited by difflock