Log House Suppliers

russ_fae_fyvie

Hi

Just a brief introduction to myself and apologies if this in the in wrong thread, hopefully the mods will keep me right !

We live just north of Aberdeen in the UK and we had a Log House Self Build finished in 2010, taking about a year to do it all which wasn't bad but we had a terrible time with the suppliers, hardly visiting the site during the build (leaving most of the work to our local joiner) and when we had big problems with draughts at the end of the build they just washed their hands of us, I believe they no longer trade, no surprise.

We are also off the mains grid so relay on PV, Wind and various other 'thing's which we have not got our heads around, a big learning curve !

Anyway if you want to see the issues and the good bits, I have a website http://www.russquinlan.co.uk

The purpose for this post though is to ask if anyone can recommend another Log Home supplier ?

As much as we love our house (and site!) it is too big for us and we are looking to downsize for our retirement years in the next year or so.

I have contacted 3 suppliers, one in England and 2 up here and the only one who really wants to discuss it with us is the one down south. Having sent plans of what we would like and also asked for info on their own designs, I am worried the lack of communication with the Scottish ones is an indication of possible problems in the future, I mean if a business does not reply to emails from their website, its not a good sign is it and I don't want to have the same issues we had last time.

Our house is a Finnish model and in the 7 years we have been in the house have loved the wooden house and is why we want to do same again.

So if anyone has any recommendations I'd be grateful if a pointer.

thanks

Edited by russ_fae_fyvie

Hi

, I mean if a business does not reply to emails from their website, its not a good sign is it and I don't want to have the same issues we had last time.

thanks

Sounds an interesting project. i have enjoyed watching Timberkings on tv recently. Just picking up on what you have said there, have you telephoned these companies? When i was looking into equipment earlier in the year, I emailed 6 companies through their contact page on their web sites and only one replied! I telephoned some that didnt and they just said probably went in their spam!! And they wonder why industry suffers!!!

Good luck with the project.

Hi There,

Grizz Grant here from Newtonmore 01540 673965 or 07734 254649

I see that you need a reliable log builder.

I am the builder of the staging post

The Staging Post - Kilworth House Hotel

I'm currently building a 340 sq. Metre log house 6/7 bedroom here in Newtonmore (our own home too)

You can see it on u tube episodes 1 & 2 [ame]

[/ame]

please feel free to get in touch If I can be of assistance

Regards, Grizz Grant

a lot of machined timber houses, and links, but grizz is the only real log cabin, a lot of folk have jumped on the bandwagon in the last few years but unless it actually uses the whole round log, its another simple timber build, you might as well build it with 4x2's, cos thats how much it's like a log cabin, to the best of my knowledge there are only around half a dozen true log cabin builders in the uk at the moment, and they are busy, start searching on google for others

Hi

Just a brief introduction to myself and apologies if this in the in wrong thread, hopefully the mods will keep me right !

We live just north of Aberdeen in the UK and we had a Log House Self Build finished in 2010, taking about a year to do it all which wasn't bad but we had a terrible time with the suppliers, hardly visiting the site during the build (leaving most of the work to our local joiner) and when we had big problems with draughts at the end of the build they just washed their hands of us, I believe they no longer trade, no surprise.

We are also off the mains grid so relay on PV, Wind and various other 'thing's which we have not got our heads around, a big learning curve !

Anyway if you want to see the issues and the good bits, I have a website http://www.russquinlan.co.uk

The purpose for this post though is to ask if anyone can recommend another Log Home supplier ?

As much as we love our house (and site!) it is too big for us and we are looking to downsize for our retirement years in the next year or so.

I have contacted 3 suppliers, one in England and 2 up here and the only one who really wants to discuss it with us is the one down south. Having sent plans of what we would like and also asked for info on their own designs, I am worried the lack of communication with the Scottish ones is an indication of possible problems in the future, I mean if a business does not reply to emails from their website, its not a good sign is it and I don't want to have the same issues we had last time.

Our house is a Finnish model and in the 7 years we have been in the house have loved the wooden house and is why we want to do same again.

So if anyone has any recommendations I'd be grateful if a pointer.

thanks

Hi I went to lapland earlier this year to visit rovaniemi-loghouse.com

There office show house is stunning and their cataloge of log houses

and the different timbers and designs are great.

Very welcomming and helpful people.Still waiting for a decision from our

local plannig dept. Hopefully one day we will get one.

Could also try artichouse.fi Again very helpfull people and a family firm.

Cheers Chris

russ, there used to be a mog around granton on spey built proper cabins, dont know if you tried them, and a company called imperial daschus in galloway havent heard anything good about them though but these are the only two up in scotland I know that use whole logs for house building