Hand Cutting

Spruce Pirate

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice bit of contour felling there.

Love all the Swanson face cuts on those big Spruce sticks. I think my favorite bit was what 6am looks like, not something you see in everyday videos. Looked a nice day too, almost makes me want to do it full time again....

Cheers, I like a swanson for big sticks downhill. There's a mix of felling cuts really, conventional, humbolt and swanson, probably a few snap cuts on some of the dead stems too. Wasn't really contour felling in the traditional sense, more just downhill.

6am isn't all it's cracked up to be. Sadly it wasn't all on the one day, but we did get some good weather on that job.

Cheers, I like a swanson for big sticks downhill. There's a mix of felling cuts really, conventional, humbolt and swanson, probably a few snap cuts on some of the dead stems too. Wasn't really contour felling in the traditional sense, more just downhill.

6am isn't all it's cracked up to be. Sadly it wasn't all on the one day, but we did get some good weather on that job.

I'm sure you had some going across the hill with the line below to catch them, which to me is as close to contour felling as you get.

I'm sure you had some going across the hill with the line below to catch them, which to me is as close to contour felling as you get.

It's probably about as close as you get these days, but not really proper contour felling. The line left was handy for catching a few, yes, but it was really as the trees you see standing were weighted more on the outside as they were by the side of a burn and it was more awkward to fell them out onto the rack that the rest were going onto. The standing trees were felled across the burn to another rack, but when it was filmed that rack was still full of timber waiting for the forwarder to lift it, so they lived to fight another day.

Hope that makes sense?

Short (??) video of a job we were on the other month. Felling the bankings, oversize and hairy trees to the harvester. Forestry, not arb, but might be interesting/entertaining for some.

One of my favourite tunes!

Top stuff, some of it indicates the limitations of harvesters.

What was winching the roadside?

Forestry has always been a hard game.

When it became mechanised, and that wasn't that long ago, I think hand cutting rates were screwed up.

The mill can't tell if the the tree was oversized at the butt, too hairy, an edger or on a banking.

Volume calculation will never tell the graft you've put in, the price for the stick is the price.

I can see a point in the future when hand cutters earn decent money again, simply because they're aren't enough good ones coming through now.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

One of my favourite tunes!

Top stuff, some of it indicates the limitations of harvesters.

What was winching the roadside?

Forestry has always been a hard game.

When it became mechanised, and that wasn't that long ago, I think hand cutting rates were screwed up.

The mill can't tell if the the tree was oversized at the butt, too hairy, an edger or on a banking.

Volume calculation will never tell the graft you've put in, the price for the stick is the price.

I can see a point in the future when hand cutters earn decent money again, simply because they're aren't enough good ones coming through now.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Harvesters are good, and getting better, but they've still got their limitations. Was a excavator base winch pulling the roadsiders. Don't think I've got any decent pictures, but really good tools.

Forestry is hard graft, but it has a few plus points too (see view in video of the sunny day). The money might not reflect the effort, especially if you start comparing the price of a cube of timber roadside to that leaving the mill or on the shop shelf, but that's life when you're supplying a raw material. You either deal with that or go and do something else. Good cutters, that's a subject for a whole new thread.

What be the Swanson cut ?

Nice vid have done a bit of felling, always on the steep sites round me bar one site that was big oaks (I enjoyed that). I am often up at five to leave at 6.30. Just recently been working further away so up at five to be on the road by 6. Leave site at 4 back home for 6

Sent from my SM-G900F using Arbtalk mobile app