What 2 Stroke?

smithers1603

Il put in my 2 penny worth ....

High performance engines with tight operating needs will put the most pressure on oil and the mix used so there is where the top oils come into there own i feel.

If i told you that i have done tests on the 1 ltr mix bottles and found many to be out ..and some up to 16% in favour of the petrol amount before oil you might want to see what you are getting if you mix that way.

You dont get a choice with Aspen 2 st mix (50.1) unless you add more oil..and i wager most dont...Im no expert on Aspen and im not about to suggest any problems with using it.

I personally mix and recommend 40.1 with a quality pump fuel plus high grade oil of your choice for all the machines i have and service for others. The 550..560 along with other stratified charge saws regardless of Auto tune as Spud said have a small fuel charge to pass through the crank case (smaller volume than in the past to) so i see that it is likely to be useful to have a little more oil to help out in the bottom end pro rata of the charge volume. The bottom end and any lube issues are reported and have /is being addressed by Husq so i believe. For me there is no issue running 40.1 regards the tune as i set the saw to the correct max free rpm with a Tac and make sure there is a slight 4 stroke.

I like 40.1 on brush cutters particularly due to the amount of time they spend flat out ....same as a saw set up for milling.

Edited by Sawchip

Chainsaws & the like are not rocket science in regard to 2 smoke motors so a mix of between 32& 50/1 will more than likely work fine, with the mixture on the carb in/on tune on the other hand all the Tuning "Guru's that used to & still prepare 2 stroke bikes etc all recommend the use of a mix of between 16/25to1 to obtain the max power/revs. I was always "advised" in my past bike road race days, the longer the throttle was wide open the more oil was required To my mind Castor based oil is best for protection but is more "Mucky" than the mix of syth stuff

Chainsaws & the like are not rocket science in regard to 2 smoke motors so a mix of between 32& 50/1 will more than likely work fine, with the mixture on the carb in/on tune on the other hand all the Tuning "Guru's that used to & still prepare 2 stroke bikes etc all recommend the use of a mix of between 16/25to1 to obtain the max power/revs. I was always "advised" in my past bike road race days, the longer the throttle was wide open the more oil was required To my mind Castor based oil is best for protection but is more "Mucky" than the mix of syth stuff

Castrol R.....luvverly:thumbup:

• Haha 1

There was work done on this back in the 70s when TZed Yamahas were all conquering racetrack motorcycles. They were getting lean seizures using too much oil and people weren't jetting up to compensate. Folks were trying to cure seizures by adding oil and the savvy tuners went leaner on oil to richen up and cool the motors. It's difficult to read a plug if it's covered in oil.

Edited by cloggy
  • Like 1

There was work done on this back in the 70s when TZed Yamahas were all conquering racetrack motorcycles. They were getting lean seizures using too much oil and people weren't jetting up to compensate. Folks were trying to cure seizures by adding oil and the savvy tuners went leaner on oil to richen up and cool the motors. It's difficult to read a plug if it's covered in oil.

The trouble is, since the 70s, oil technology and strokers have moved on a fair bit. I am not disputing the original data and it is a pity two strokes are rarely raced now otherwise there would be more accurate info on this.

From my days of racing 2 strokes back in those days, 250 Honda (twin ) & a JJ Cobas 125 (Aprilia motor) I was always led to believe it was down to cold seizures as the guys that blanked off half their Rads didn't suffer this problem & Yamaha reduced their Rad size & fitted a redesigned coolant pump another problem was that some of the additives in Blue Gas (fuel )were in some quarters were thought to be " Iffy " We could be talking different scenario's as in those days the 2smoke's more so the "works" machines had some way out kit on them to gain the tiny advantage from race to race dependent mostly on the straight length on the circuit.

Have you had any dealings with the Ipone 40R with the( Fraise) Strawberry fragrance, mixed in with the pong of R 2hrs of running this with Methanol is like having a Sunday morning hangover :thumbup1:

Used to run my old Triumph Thunderbird on R40 .