Logs in ibc cages

jeanesy

I'm storing logs in vented bags at the moment but I'm thinking of trying out ibc cages instead. There's quite a few dotted around the farm already and as I'm not buying bags in big quantities the price isn't massively different between the two ( roughly double I guess) but I figure they'll last a lot longer than the bags.

I was just wondering how people get the logs out of the cages without smashing them up. There's a good size merlo at the yard which I have access to. Easy with the bags as they have tipping loops, do you do the same with the cages?

Same here and just handball them out. Yes it's slow but helps quality control as you pick out all the processor waste and any dodgy logs.

I tried this for a while but it's a bit of faf and leaves all the waste in the load plus now we are using a pickup the baby tractor cant lift high enough to tip it out http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/64594-low-tech-ibc-tipper.html

I'm storing logs in vented bags at the moment but I'm thinking of trying out ibc cages instead. There's quite a few dotted around the farm already and as I'm not buying bags in big quantities the price isn't massively different between the two ( roughly double I guess) but I figure they'll last a lot longer than the bags.

I was just wondering how people get the logs out of the cages without smashing them up. There's a good size merlo at the yard which I have access to. Easy with the bags as they have tipping loops, do you do the same with the cages?

IBC's are far better imo. More airflow, easier to stack, longer lasting.

If you're any good with the merlo you should be able to tip them out without doing too much damage.

Pick it up from the wide side (you need 1000mm forks at least) tip it over onto its side gently all the time keep the bottom edge touching the ground. Keep going forward slowly as you lift up and tilt. Once it's laying on its side pick up gently from the bottom and lever it up so you are holding it through the pallet tine spaces. (You could lay it partly on a pallet to start with so you can get under the edge easier maybe) Then you can lift it away upside down tipping the remainder of the logs out.

You might want a groundsman to direct you with the merlo but it's a piece of cake on a skidsteer where you can see what you're doing better. You can pile them up , tipping multiple out in this way quite easily.

Only disclaimer is, the plastic bottomed ones are less likely to get damaged doing this, the steel ones though- it might slightly pull off the tube bottom ring as the joints for it are in the middle on the longest side. I solved this by either welding them to the pallet spacer feet before or after I tip them. You'll need a mig welder though or you'll just melt them.

Most second hand IBC's have most of their damage here in my experience anyway.

I can't see how a box tipper works out economically when it's so easy to do. You do need a tractor, skidsteer or merlo to do it though so you have enough boom crowd angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe try and get your hands on potato box rotator attachment....

For the price they are you're better off risking damaging a few IBC's. Especially if you have a tractor/skidsteer/telehandler rather than forklift.

Unless you can come across a cheap one that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk