Freebie 017

2414Gingerboy

OK, as the title says I have myself a freebie, it fires up no problem, but when you rev it, it just seems to die away, tried to adjust carb, only 1 screw, which was only out 3/4 of a turn, this seemed to get it running better, but then it was back to where we started. Pulled the carb off and gave it a clean, didn't seem to be much crap in it, got it all back and, no differant, checked and cleaned air breather on tank. Fuel line is a bit short, cant get filter out through cap, doesn't look like a stihl one anyway, so have ordered a new one and filter. Anyone got any other thoughts, compression is 150psi. Will probably get a carb kit for it anyway.

TIA

Pete

It's got good compression so it only leaves fuel or spark. I have had cdi breakdown before now but still run on low revs. Can you nurse it till it warms up then get a bit more life out of it or does it die completely when you try to rev it.

Tried a fresh plug, exactly the same result.

Peatff, I can get it warmed up, but it makes no differance, warm or cold, it will rev ok for maybe 10/15 seconds sometimes, before dying other times it will just die away as soon as you throttle up.

I'm thinking it has to be fuel, but just where the problem is I'm not sure, perhaps a new fuel pipe and filter will be the answer, if not I will go on to a carb kit, after that!!!!

well I have a biggish hammer.

OK new pipe and filter arived and I finally found time to fit it.

Got the old line out and can confirm it was not of original type, just straight pipe with a seperate grommet, not only that, but it was 2.5"/5cm shorter than the replacement.This could explain why it appeared to run out of petrol with still an inch and a half in the tank, and why I couldn't get the filter out of the filler hole. Anyway long story a bit shorter, got it all back together, fired it up, tuned it a little, and put 2 tanks of fuel through it no problem. :thumbup:I am thinking it may be a bit heavy on fuel still, plug not quite the colour I would like. Having thought about this, I did tweak up the metering lever when I had the carb apart:001_rolleyes:, perhaps I need to tweak it back again.

It doesn't seem to use much oil though, not compared to my 029, would this be normal, or is this another problem I need to tackle?:confused1: