Storing logs

case mx270

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking about this on the farm. Just been out and chopped up some old oak that has been sitting in the grass for a couple years. Most of it will be OK but not for this year. So I'm trying to work out the best way to store / season wood on the farm. I have previously split into billets and stacked with a sheet and this does work OK but can't help feeling it's not the best way.

What I've settled on is a polytunnel. We want one anyway for growing fruit / veg in spring / summer and housing chickens in the winter. So I'm thinking of either sourcing metal IBC crates or creating similar from a pallet and stock fence and drying in the tunnel. Then when the hens go in, the pallets come out and go into a dry barn near the house for use over the winter.

I've looked at all sorts of ideas for drying wood and sun and wind just seems best. I did have an idea to build a very small scale oven idea from an oil drum on it's side with fire underneath for emergency fast drying but it seems a shame to burn wood to dry wood, unless it's really not suitable for indoor burning, in which case it probably needs to go to a proper incinerator. I guess you could build something which would burn sawdust / chip etc.

Edit: Just realised I put 'old oaf' in the second sentence, should be old oak of coarse. Got the chuckles now.

Thing is with that is when it gets really muggy in Jan / Feb, I can't help thinking that the logs start soaking it all up again. So really need moving to dry storage in Nov/ Dec for most of the UK, most years?

I have left wood out and logs just seem to get wet again although subsequent drying time is far less, I admit. Billets or whole branches seem to stay dry outside.

What I've settled on is a polytunnel.

We want one anyway for growing fruit / veg in spring / summer and housing chickens in the winter.

Cant see much of a gap between one & the other. Even if there is will it be big enough to justify a system of filling & moving the filled crates?

Plus just when you really need them to be inside the hens will be in so the wood is outside again.

Been trawling through some old threads regarding storing logs recently, it seems the poly tunnel is a proven method. A decent sized one will allow access with a forklift or small telyhandler. A poly tunnel can also be classified as a solar kiln so if you plan on selling any excess you can advertise them as kiln dried. Seems a north/south alignment works better than east/west, but this is just what I've gathered up from old posts, no personal experience myself:001_huh:

Been trawling through some old threads regarding storing logs recently, it seems the poly tunnel is a proven method. A decent sized one will allow access with a forklift or small telyhandler. A poly tunnel can also be classified as a solar kiln so if you plan on selling any excess you can advertise them as kiln dried. Seems a north/south alignment works better than east/west, but this is just what I've gathered up from old posts, no personal experience myself:001_huh:

I agree - and I already regard anything that's been in my poly tunnel for any length of time as kiln dried :biggrin:. I've had very good results in no time at all due to mild autumn and frosty, sunny recent days, its surprising how much warmth you get in there. Plus its far easier and cheaper to erect a big poly than converted steel containers and the like, but you don't get the heat intensity, I know