Petrol v diesel long and short term costs...

Ty Korrigan

I'm trying to get some figures together on this but if any-one already has any facts then please feel free to share.

2 chippers, both with same power, say 35HP but differently fueled engines.

I need to look at initial purchase cost.

Future re-sale value.

Service intervals.

Consumption per hour.

Cost per litre for each fuel.

Tax advantages of each fuel.

Storage costs and constraints.

Over 1000 hours use, what would be the difference in cost between diesel and petrol?

Ty

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tax advantages of each fuel.

Storage costs and constraints.

I cannot help with comparative figures but in UK you are almost bound to purchase petrol at a pump whereas you can have gasoil dleivered in bulk.

You can claim all the VAT back on petrol but if you buy less than 2500 litres of gasoil you only pay 5% VAT, all of which is reclaimable.

Gasoil is rebated of road tax so costs 50% of DERV before VAT

The other thing is that diesel contains about 10% more energy than petrol by the litre, so on top of its inherent advantage at part loads a diesel burning gasoil has large financial advantages.

Assuming "rebated" diesel is available in France, a "no-brainer", proper Kubota territory that 35HP size engine is, AND Diesel is inherently safer, however with the significent recent developments in petrol engines, not so clear cut, application dependant(i.e is a quieter air cooled petrol pref to a noiser heavier, more expensive diesel), as it once was.

So unless the petrol engine (in a chipper) makes the difference from below 750kg to above 750kg perhaps?

given the distances we cover over here you need to also think about towing waight. the TW125 i have is about 500kg, the GM130 is 750kg (yes i know they are both petrol, its just i know those 2 machines), thats alot more to pull around, truck working harder, more fuel in the truck, clutch working harder....

given the distances we cover over here you need to also think about towing waight. the TW125 i have is about 500kg, the GM130 is 750kg (yes i know they are both petrol, its just i know those 2 machines), thats alot more to pull around, truck working harder, more fuel in the truck, clutch working harder....

Just to think i tow 1850kg every day towing tracked chipper and plant trailer :001_huh: keep looking at another road tow machine!

Just to think i tow 1850kg every day towing tracked chipper and plant trailer :001_huh: keep looking at another road tow machine!

Our blokes were often towing 1800 kg of Forst tr6 and trailer 150 miles round trip (on utility work) with the transits, sometimes 2500 with a GM1928, I used to find it wearing but they never complained and the trucks went on for 200k miles.

I felt it was never properly costed in to the jobs let alone the long hours.

With the new thoughts on diesel engines suggesting they are very bad for us and the environment. Are we going to see large tractors etc with petrol engines? If so there will presumably need to be "red" petrol for farmers, plant, etc.

So in the long run we could end up benefiting, as we will have rebated fuel for our saws, who knows maybe even Aspen will qualify?

Sorry, but misinformation annoys me :blushing:

new versions:

tw125 575kg

tw160 608kg

GM130 670kg (bonnet and braked trailer chassis included)

95kg shouldn't make much of a difference to a "work" vehicle