Granberg precision grinder 12v powerpack and diamond stones

Rob D

Okay..... different angle:

so I'm a newbie miller and about to mill for the first time next week.

If I'm milling oak at about 30" diameter , and presuming I don't hit anything metallic.... would I only need to sharpen the chain once during a whole days milling? (based on running a 42" granberg ripping chain).

Cheers, Steve

Hmmm - tricky Steve cause depends on so many factors. I tend to think after 4 to 5 planks you need to tickle the chain - but I have done half a day with the saw still cutting beautifully.

There just is no answer I'm afraid - just too many damn variables!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm - tricky Steve cause depends on so many factors. I tend to think after 4 to 5 planks you need to tickle the chain - but I have done half a day with the saw still cutting beautifully.

There just is no answer I'm afraid - just too many damn variables!

Okay.... another question.... :laugh1:

Do you find the diamond stones more efficient at sharpening?.... presumably resulting in less power consumption?

I'm not enjoying the thought of lugging a gurt car battery around and then having to lug it back home to recharge the thing. It's one of my pet hates... recharging car batteries. :thumbdown:

cheers, steve

Okay.... another question.... :laugh1:

Do you find the diamond stones more efficient at sharpening?.... presumably resulting in less power consumption?

I'm not enjoying the thought of lugging a gurt car battery around and then having to lug it back home to recharge the thing. It's one of my pet hates... recharging car batteries. :thumbdown:

cheers, steve

Diamond stone runs cooler on the tooth and is a lot more efficient.

Not sure about the power consumption but that is not really a concern - it's more the other style stones lose shape and then you don't get quite the same grind. These diamond stones will last for a very long time.

Diamond stone runs cooler on the tooth and is a lot more efficient.

Not sure about the power consumption but that is not really a concern - it's more the other style stones lose shape and then you don't get quite the same grind. These diamond stones will last for a very long time.

Okay, you've sold me the stone.

Can the lithium battery be recharged off a vehicle 12v outlet?

Cheers, Steve