Where are all the hand cutters?

Kevlaney

i think that having years of experience using a chainsaw is more important then a piece of paper or plastic it is like riding a bike you never forget.

But with the rules and regs of lovely brussells (not in my book they aren't) the ones like me have to take more courses (refreshers) to learn what we already know and this is just my opinion.

sorry if i upset anyone.

mike

I totally agree, but that's just the way it is now.

Another classic own goal by the FC.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

i think that having years of experience using a chainsaw is more important then a piece of paper or plastic it is like riding a bike you never forget.

But with the rules and regs of lovely brussells (not in my book they aren't) the ones like me have to take more courses (refreshers) to learn what we already know and this is just my opinion.

sorry if i upset anyone.

mike

Yeah, completely understand where your coming from, but it is what it is and is something you need if you want to gain employment or contracts.

Got to admit to being a cutter who chased the money and went arb but as some have said I'm now a true Arborist with severe and irreversible forestry tendency's.

Don't think rates these days are really much better than 20years ago when I started unless your in really big stuff but not much of that is left and even less is cut because the mills don't want it.

What is the rates these days anyway for comersial production cutting, we are out of that and tend to just get some estate pretty forestry cutting these days.

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app

• Like 1

It's not all over!

We are a dying breed but there is a good living to be made. The apprenticeship can be harsh and long and you will have to spend time learning the trade but what jobs don't you have too. I'll never do chestnut copice again!

We are a small team and have spent a lot of time getting pre approved contractor status for many of the usual suspects but now are fortunate to be pre booked and I work 6 days a week this time of year.

Yes we have adapted and offen work alongside harvesters etc.

Also no matter how skilled you are the reality is you need all your tickets especially as large trees, windfelled and assisted fell are where you can charge a premium and are individual tickets. It maybe just a box ticked but if you don't have them all you won't get on many sites now that's just the reality.

So if you want it don't give up its a good way of life.....till your body gives out!

Cheers,

James.

the big problem up here in scotland is all the plantations that were hand planted 30-50 years ago, a man could walk, and plant up the steep incline, over the rocky outcrops, a harvester cant go there, there are literly 1000's of acres unnacessable to mechanical harvesting methods, a return to hand cutting and skylining is comming... I cant see a big investment in the big tigercat tracked machines with prices as they stand for timber

Trees are still being cut, it's a tough job, a job I hope my boys don't want to do!

There's easier ways to make more money and if the younger generation know this then good, that's evolution working.

I did 5 weeks in the woods 20 years ago and thought stuff that, and went and cut hedges instead in a town with shops and people. Not driving for 2 hrs in the dark on a single track Rd to be stuck working on a steep hillside doing pine trees in the rain for £40 a day!

Never regretted it!

I understand hand cutting is a smaller sector of forestry than it was and hopefully will be in future at the moment. However I've recently had a few subbies on trial churned out by a couple of training providers and the basics of felling and snedding aren't taught. We do arb so adapting the traditional felling cuts is par for the course but when the space allows they don't go back to basics they just stand any old side and cut any old how and hope for the best. Really winds me up, I'm hoping for an offer of some hand cutting work don't care if we don't make or loose if it teaches the lads to fell and dress timber correctly!

:thumbup:

sorry if i upset anyone.

mike

Don't think rates these days are really much better than 20years ago when I started unless your in really big stuff but not much of that is left and even less is cut because the mills don't want it.

What is the rates these days anyway for comersial production cutting, we are out of that and tend to just get some estate pretty forestry cutting these days.

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app

About right. Used to get a £1 for a log, 50p for a bar or rail on piece rate; this was in 1995-1997. Chain was £1/inch then and still is now!

Pics attached are what chainsaw courses teach now: note to landowners - you don't save a penny using them to bugger up your woods!

WP_20160714_12_37_21_Pro.jpg.ae76284779d7ddf39796c580def0ceb8.jpg

WP_20160714_12_37_36_Pro.jpg.347ecda191f435399ed2b0b8c27b9ea4.jpg

WP_20160714_12_34_50_Pro.jpg.06e42c8ba96e28185a3cc66242a31eb9.jpg

WP_20160714_11_32_22_Pro.jpg.58e09d75c798d623c0802fd74ce3dc44.jpg

WP_20160714_12_35_05_Pro.jpg.c9a0c65592d04086a4f4602c6c680546.jpg