Light weight tipper bodies...

Ty Korrigan

Hello,

Been looking at chassis cabs as our Iveco Daily 3.5t is due to fall apart in the near future.

What sort of weight can a tipping body get down too if made from aluminium?

Our double cab with steel tipping body and a steel framed greedy boards with alloy panels can only carry 700kg legally, more like 500kg when 2 lads and kit on board.

Ty

• 2 weeks later...
Crafter 3.5t tipper. Mild steel framework with alupanel double skin so outer skin doesn't get dented by chippings/logs.

40mm box with a 2mm wall is plenty strong enough for a frame.

If its just a greedy box going on an existing tipper body you can go down to 25mm box as long as you don't want to dance on the roof.

The problem with aluminium composite panel is that you need to have some support or it will bulge when full. If I were doing another, I would make some "Z" purlin material and make a composite. I glued the last one with Polyurethane Adhesive and it was very successful

Ok many thanks for the response. I'm going to have horrizontal and vertical beams which I will rivet the panels to to stop it from bulging and give it more reugidity. Also with it having a double skin the outer visible skin won't get damaged.

Rivets will spoil the look of it, a Polyurethane adhesive is the way to go and its stronger than a pop rivet