Reg on one handing a saw

stihlmadasever

To be clear, I do make chainsaw cuts with one hand, often. Doing so with a well balanced top handled saw does not even come close to the other dangers tree work presents. I believe Reg expressed this in his video also. So I submit, that if a climber has difficulty judging when and how to do so safely, that tree work in general, as a profession, might not be a good choice.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could not agree more Treequip, looking at the injury locations and "guessing " how they are caused is nothing more than that, a guess, in this case not even quantified by what he basis the guess on.

It is a shame that the figures for injury sites does not also record the cause, there is little or no point in simply recording effects, the only way to prevent the incident happening again is to look at the cause and how that can be minimised or avoided in the future.

It's an inherently dangerous occupation, but I feel it's foolish to add more unnecessary hazards. I've not been in the game as long as most of you (2years training, 3 on the tools) and I can fully understand that saws were designed for one handed use, and one handed use was standard practice when lots of people learned their trade. I can also sympathise that it's hard to break a habit of a lifetime. I'm also aware that it's slower to use two hands on a saw. There is situations when one handing (not cutting and holding) a chainsaw is the safer option, for me these are rare.

To me the productivity issue has little relevance, I'd rather work slow and safe, but for others it seems to be a big deal - I feel the saddest part of the situation is the pressure put on some young guys to keep up by means of using techniques which are now deemed unsafe. I've worked with guys who'd one hand a saw and tell me to never do it, that's better than nothing, but habits do rub off on youngsters.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

I personally think it is fine to use a top handle chainsaw with one hand if not safer sometimes. I have come closer to having an accident using both hands on the saw, a good example of this would be doing a step cut and the branch snapping off before predicted, you instant reaction is to try and grab the branch before it goes through that green house below. all could be avoided using cut and chuck.

I think it should be touched upon when people do their use of chainsaw in a tree, maybe not told to use a chainsaw one handed but in a 'if you do' kind of way.

As Reg says its each to their own and I'm not telling anyone to do things anyway but they way they know best.

From my training days it was taught that yes these saws can be used one handed - but only for doing cuts away from the user ie. at arms length while reaching out with the saw.

Never to be used for cutting and holding.

On Reg videos he is very precise and controlled - always seems to be in a good work position. So probably pretty safe (for him!)

But I dunno - from folk I've seen and spoken to in the industry (discussing injuries) over 12 years - 9 times out of 10 it's down to one handed cutting. Just my experience.

I personally think it is fine to use a top handle chainsaw with one hand if not safer sometimes. I have come closer to having an accident using both hands on the saw, a good example of this would be doing a step cut and the branch snapping off before predicted, you instant reaction is to try and grab the branch before it goes through that green house below. all could be avoided using cut and chuck.

I think it should be touched upon when people do their use of chainsaw in a tree, maybe not told to use a chainsaw one handed but in a 'if you do' kind of way.

As Reg says its each to their own and I'm not telling anyone to do things anyway but they way they know best.

I actually know someone who cut themselves doing exactly what was described above. Except it was a fence, not a greenhouse. Though the incident was down to lack of experience imo, a more experienced climber would have either step cut a smaller piece to snap off or cut and held the piece. But I think that it shows that experience is the most important thing in judging what technique to use and when.

As Reg says its up to you if you one hand or not.

But I think the thrust of the video is more aimed at the tone of Mark's post - essentially insulting people's intelligence and judging them on their actions rather than whether we should or not.

That's a personal choice and one that potentially has a heavy price.

But it doesn't make you a 'dummy'.

id say marks blog comments were meant to push peoples buttons, spark debate etc, if he had just said one handed chainsaw use is best avoided then id imagine it would of all gone largely noticed.

i find it hard to believe that in marks 27 yrs of treework he has never lent out as far as he can and with one hand cut the end off a branch!! ???

carl.