Stump grinder teeth sharpening & re-tipping

inthewoods

Hi all, as per title can anyone point me in the direction of a firm that can provide these services? Did my first stump grinding job today :-) but it was burning through the stump as opposed to grinding it! Have had a go with the angle grinder but to no avail :-( Cheers in advance.

You can sharpen many of the teeth yourself.

Provided you can get at them (the multi tips can be hard work).

I personally use a bench grinder witha standard grit wheel at one end to grind down the steel area just below the carbide pad. then I grind the carbide with the greenstone wheel.

I don't use a jig - just do it by eye (through goggles obviously).

Many swear by diamond wheels with an angle grinder but i prefer the bench grinder.

It also helps if you have a powerful bench grinder (I have a sealy 600watt machine which runs 8 inch wheels) it can be quite quick.

a few places on here selling metal composite grinding wheels to fit angle grinders have the benefit of less dust than a bench green stone plus you do not need to remove the teeth to sharpen them

Not removing the teeth must be a big benefit. I found the stock removal was faster with a diamond disc but never really worked out if there was a cost benefit over the green grit. I always used the green grit outside.