Community speed watches

Steve Bullman

I don't. I'm retired and have nowhere to go in a hurry. I love to see the driver behind drumming their hands on the wheel in 30 limits :thumbup: Our street is actually a 20 limit and if they ever set a speed trap up it would rake in thousands and result in quite a few bans. I might stand outside with my hi-viz jacket and a black hairdryer one day just to see their faces :thumbup:

Technically I'm unemployed but will be retired by Xmas, I too drive slowly and try and avoid sudden braking, mainly to get a bit further on my fuel, up to 70mpg with the pug206 or fiesta eco where other drivers were getting in the forties.

I do have to keep aware of those following, often tailgating, so I seldom go slower than a 30,40 or 50 speed limit but stick to 56 on Mways unless on a long journey.

Agreed!

Rural roads + excessive / careless / inconsiderate driving is a recipe for disaster.

It may well be that the frustration directed at the people volunteering at these speed watch positions would be better directed at the people who are speeding.

It might seem pointless because there are no "powers to punish" associated with Community Speed Watch but the data collected facilitates targeted road traffic police attention to problem areas.

Really, which is worse - careless, inconsiderate, speeding, distracted drivers or a few old duffers having a day out in the fresh air?

I'm sorry but this is just plain wrong. There is no evidence to prove that the police attend problem areas flagged up by CSW.

What people should be doing is put pressure on the local council and police to get proper speed cameras into their villages, like we have done.

Last year we had 36 accidents on our road, most of them end up on their roof, on the same bend.

This holier than thou attitude really gets on my tits. Blair.... Don't speed simple!:001_rolleyes: I bet he's never done it, or driven an over loaded truck..... Can you see where this is going?

Rather than sit there telling people where they are going wrong get out there forcing the arm of the police and council.

I can sit here and say I don't speed, driving a van with a 500 litre un-baffled water tank in the back tends to concentrate the mind.

Don't speed , simple!

I live in a small village and people drive through it too fast all the time, fancy hitting a kid at 40mph first thing in the morning while you are running late and not concentrating!

I watch people text while speeding down past the school kids walking to school! Idiots!

Good on the community for getting together and helping out the over stretched police .

:thumbup1:

I don't get how when it comes to laws we obey most but when it comes to speeding it is as accepted that almost everyone breaks the law and feel it's unjust when we get caught out. I am no saint but if ever get caught it's my fault.

I'm sorry but this is just plain wrong. There is no evidence to prove that the police attend problem areas flagged up by CSW.

What, maybe you know YOUR area, do you know mine too? I specifically said data collection can facilitate targeted action. It's not plain wrong old chap, it's plain right!

What people should be doing is put pressure on the local council and police to get proper speed cameras into their villages, like we have done.

Yes agreed, great THEORY. Tried that. Highways said no action until after a fatality, town and county councillors plead lack of funds, police community liaison disinterested since it's a national speed limit road (inappropriately). I photograph all incidents I see and email to all of the above + local rag. Its just a matter of "when" rather than "if" the fatality occurs, I will not allow them to claim ignorance after the event.

Last year we had 36 accidents on our road, most of them end up on their roof, on the same bend.

This holier than thou attitude really gets on my tits.

We don't choose which rules / regs we want to abide by in a civilised society. What, speeding OK, stealing tools not? Where's it say that?

The issue here appears to be a refusal to accept a billocking from someone who's authority isn't recognised. Sure, they're not authorised to issue any penalty, but as citizens of the society they are ideally placed to make a contribution and comment on anti social behaviour. Kinda like a jury of ones peers.

Blair.... Don't speed simple!:001_rolleyes: I bet he's never done it, or driven an over loaded truck..... Can you see where this is going?

Do you mean me? If so, you'd be right on both counts - I don't speed (intentionally) or overload. Regarding speed, I may have done in the past, but certainly for the last 10 years (since seeing 🖊is drivers on a daily basis) I grew up.

Rather than sit there telling people where they are going wrong get out there forcing the arm of the police and council.

I can sit here and say I don't speed, driving a van with a 500 litre un-baffled water tank in the back tends to concentrate the mind.

What actual harm do these CSW people do?

What actual harm do these CSW people do?

No I didn't mean you, I was talking in general.

Keep at the council, highways, police you will get results.

This is our road, although factually incorrect (we average more than one accident a month), this year we've had 17 accidents that the emergency services have attended. Late last year the council altered the camber of the road and installed chevron signs, which we believe as made a vast difference. Its taken four years but we are getting there.

?Someone will die at blackspot? - speed restrictions to be put in at Cornard-Bures B1508 ?car graveyard? - Suffolk Free Press

I'm not saying that CSW do any harm, what I'm saying is the money that it takes to train and kit-out these people could be better spent.

You might have noticed this subject boils my piss.:biggrin: