Taking on an Apprentice?

benedmonds

The apprentice is a full member of the team, so works normal hours... except that the Govt requirement is that off the job training is equivalent to 20% of the time (which a cynical person could interpret as one day a week). That said, depending on the training provider, and the agreement they have with the employer, it may not be a case of trooping off to a training centre for day release.

When it comes to the chipper, the requirement for the apprentice to achieve their chipper ticket is written into the standard, along with the chainsaw and aerial tickets. So they will need to use, and become proficient with the kit if they are going to complete the apprenticeship assessments.

The Arb assoc, Lantra and C&G have all supported the employer group that have been developing the trailblazer apprenticeship for arboriculture. If you are going to the Arb Show on the 12-13th May at Westonbirt, it is an opportunity to catch up with one (or all) of us and have a chat about the new apprenticeships, training etc.... or just pass the time of day.

I am looking at taking another apprentice this summer . A school leaver who has been very pro active at getting himself a placement which is a great start (mummy and daddy not involved). We are perfectly set up to provide training however trust insurance inform me any persons under 18 will not be covered to use any machinery or climb qualified or not or perform any task apart from drag branches . My concern is life will be very boring for two years for this lad . My question is really do the apprenticeship provider provide cover for this for under 18's?

Edited by Toxteth O,Grady

Obviously its at the discretion of the insurer as to what they include in their policy but I believe that awarding bodies/HSE state that a 16/17 year old can achieve their nptc qualifications but then must be supervised at all times until they are 18 years old.

We have co-funding available for a 19yrs+ apprenticeship in the Devon/Cornwall area if anyone is interested. Training is flexible and takes place in and around West Devon and East Cornwall. The sign up would need to be before the 1st of May as new funding rules apply from this date (employer levy etc) If you have 50 employees or less then you can apply for a £1500 AGE grant to help with costs. Get in Touch ASAP if you are interested - 01822 832232.