Medium Biomass Boiler

RetfordLogs

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it regarding smoke or the location of the building. Not much you can do about location other than blend it in if it's already built.

Most smoke is worst (darkest) when it turns on so you could either get a larger buffer tank so it stays off longer or a very small one so that it's constantly on at a low use.

Also worth considering a higher flue and making sure everything that goes in is dry to reduce smoke.

That's just a few ideas but it depends on the problems you're having and the type of boiler / it's use.

Is it regarding smoke or the location of the building. Not much you can do about location other than blend it in if it's already built.

Most smoke is worst (darkest) when it turns on so you could either get a larger buffer tank so it stays off longer or a very small one so that it's constantly on at a low use.

Also worth considering a higher flue and making sure everything that goes in is dry to reduce smoke.

That's just a few ideas but it depends on the problems you're having and the type of boiler / it's use.

Its regarding the smoke,

It currently doesn't have a buffer tank but rather than fill it then let it burn empty we're constantly topping it up every 2 - 3 hours just a small amount at a time.

We have doubled flue height from 4 to 8 m to try and get the smoke higher but still seems to be causing problems. Currently burning pallets and logs both sub 20% MC.

Assuming it's smoke they are complaining about? Something is wrong if it smoking much, it will smoke s bit on start up say 5-10mins then really should be zero smoke if the fuel is dry and fan doing its job, to burn properly it needs to be flat out for the whole burn so you need a big enough buffer tank to take all the heat otherwise it will switch to idle and start smoking. What sort of boiler is it? A higher flue will definitely help as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Just saw your last reply, unfortunately I think unless you fit a buffer tank you are going to have problems. It's a lot easier with one, fill it up and let it roar away! My tank is 23000litres on 200kw boiler a bit ott maybe but does mean I can fire the boiler when I want to not when it runs out of heat

May be worth looking into a storage tank then. We don't think it smokes a lot but the neighbours don't seem to agree unfortunately. Environmental health have been out to look a couple of times and think its fine but will probably be back again.

The planners are now looking into it and have deemed it as processing outside of the operating ours that are permitted (9-5) so a storage tank may be the way forwards.

Assuming it's smoke they are complaining about? Something is wrong if it smoking much, it will smoke s bit on start up say 5-10mins then really should be zero smoke if the fuel is dry and fan doing its job, to burn properly it needs to be flat out for the whole burn so you need a big enough buffer tank to take all the heat otherwise it will switch to idle and start smoking. What sort of boiler is it? A higher flue will definitely help as well.

burn crap and hey you get crap results.

bellows of smoke every 3 to 4 hours ,which is what you get with pallets, most annoying.

burn crap and hey you get crap results.

bellows of smoke every 3 to 4 hours ,which is what you get with pallets, most annoying.

What are you burning?

We have tried burning Pallets and Sycamore at 20% MC but both seem to cause smoke.

Pallets yesterday were fine, today big bellows of smoke. Same batch of pallets different results.

Edited by RetfordLogs