Harves

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spending 3 months designing road signs.

My first job after uni was working for a clothing chain. Sometimes when the clothes came from India they had the wrong material label inside. Our job was to get a label saying "100% polyester" and placing it over the label saying "100% polyamide". On the bride side I can honestly say I've had my hands in 1000 bras in a single day :)

You'd be surprised at just how much the telephone companies will pay to keep their big thick trunkline's intact.

Cuttin n stringin new voltage lines is no big deal, but telephone trunk lines are another story entirely!

Did another midnight emergency call to get a big blown over euc off a power/trunkline span. Power company had pole setter crane at both ends supportin the poles n keepin them from snappin.

So I go up the neighboring intact euc still standing, tie in about a hundred feet up, come down, run out the trunk of the downed tree, out beyond the trapped lines, and slowly relieve weight until just the trunk was about four feet past the trapped lines.

Then I threw the tail of my climb line over the trapped power cable n phone lines as well, instructing my groundie to leave bout twenty feet of slack in it, then tying it off to a tree across the ravine. Then I had the groundie throw a bull line over all the utility lines about fifteen feet down line, tie a running bowline snug it up tight, and tie it off to a series of small trees directly below the utility lines.

One more cut to the trunk, and it'd fall free from the lines n hit the ground, as the trapped lines rose, tearing the small trees out of the ground roots n all, lifting the tail of my rope violently, tossing me skywards like a bungee jumper, three times I hit zero G with its accompanying belly button tingle, before coming to rest, the groundie untying my tail, and gently lowering safely to the COG below my tie in.

It was quite a show, and I got lots of hearty applause the utility crews and countless supervisors on both sides of the span.

Jomoco

Edited by jomoco

Pressing two buttons all day every day on a production line in a factory.

One of my first jobs was almost identical to this description, producing microfilm - it was pretty sh!t.

Forgot to say, it was only one button! Plus it was pre minimum wage, so I wasn't even earning enough it get pissed after a days work. £1.55ph if I remember right.

You'd be surprised at just how much the telephone companies will pay to keep their big thick trunkline's intact.

Cuttin n stringin new voltage lines is no big deal, but telephone trunk lines are another story entirely!

Did another midnight emergency call to get a big blown over euc off a power/trunkline span. Power company had pole setter crane at both ends supportin the poles n keepin them from snappin.

So I go up the neighboring intact euc still standing, tie in about a hundred feet up, come down, run out the trunk of the downed tree, out beyond the trapped lines, and slowly relieve weight until just the trunk was about four feet past the trapped lines.

Then I threw the tail of my climb line over the trapped power cable n phone lines as well, instructing my groundie to leave bout twenty feet of slack in it, then tying it off to a tree across the ravine. Then I had the groundie throw a bull line over all the utility lines about fifteen feet down line, tie a running bowline snug it up tight, and tie it off to a series of small trees directly below the utility lines.

One more cut to the trunk, and it'd fall free from the lines n hit the ground, as the trapped lines rose, tearing the small trees out of the ground roots n all, lifting the tail of my rope violently, tossing me skywards like a bungee jumper, three times I hit zero G with its accompanying belly button tingle, before coming to rest, the groundie untying my tail, and gently lowering safely to the COG below my tie in.

It was quite a show, and I got lots of hearty applause the utility crews and countless supervisors on both sides of the span.

Jomoco

and your getting paid to have this much fun too, you lucky man!

10 years ago I received a call from a friend that was a live in property manager for an apartment complex. He was in a bind and really needed some palms trimmed in a hurry.

It was a Tuesday evening and I grabbed my 020 Sthil with my 14" bar and drove to the complex. It seems that the owners were arriving for an inspection and the palms had not been trimmed in many months or in one case years. Phoenix reclanata is the species and this palm had 18 trunks at 30' height. So with a 30" extension ladder and my friend clearing froms from the base of the ladder I some how managed to trim this monster in just over 7 hours. There was two more queen palms that were next to the monster that were easy enough to trim. The Phoenix reclanata has really nasty spines that if given the chance can put a serious hurting on ones self and fortunately I did not become a human pin cushion in the process. I started this job at 8:00 PM and finished at Three AM the next morning. I put myself under a lot of pressure to complete this job before the owners arrived the next day and my mission was accomplished just before the city police showed up because of noise complaints?. Some how the apartment complex was not in violation of any city noise ordinance and since I literally just finished by the time the police did arrive I was just happy the job was done

During the job we loaded one 40 yard dumpster with debries and I was about as physically spent as I ever had been.

The palms did look great by the morning light and the owners were pleased with the job.

hardest $500.00 for 7 hours labor ever. No more all night last minute jobs for this guy.

easy-lift guy

Edited by easy-lift guy

Pointing tree stakes in a sawmill for days on end was probably the dullest days of my working like, too much noise to talk to anyone and am quite fond of my fingers so had to concentrate. Did 1000's of the things. Think this was closely followed by banging the things into the ground on feldom Moor in a blizzard the following winter all for £1.50 hr as a apprentice.

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app