kinetic energy splitters

Silverhooker

"Can't get this one in the UK, shame looks good"

Well two of us on this forum have imported that petrol version, 5.5 tonne SuperSplit from the USA - see the previous threads I drew attention to above. But it is cheaper and way easier to purchase what seems to be a good SuperSplit imitation that Jonesie has advertised in the earlier discussions.

Phoned Portek direct. They had virtually no knowledge of the machine, didn't know the engine make or the horse power or the price of the 28 tonne one. Chap said "about £1500"

Oh, and you can only buy from a reseller.

Told them I sell firewood and was quite keen etc, do you have any videos of it working? Er no.

Think I'll leave it and try and import the supersplit

Hi guys

I have a 5 tonne hydraulic and the Portek Quick Split. I only use them for domestic use but I have retired the hydraulic as a back up should the Portek go wrong. Don't be put off by the size of the Portek, firstly it is very heavy and be careful lifting. I can process about a cubic metre in about 45 mins with mine and have processed fir trees, ash, silver birch, poplar etc and so far not had anything I can't process. I think it is like my 5 tonne hydraulic splitter in that you need to read the wood and don't try to split too knotty wood.

I love mine and have had it about 12 months and have proceeded about 10 cube through it. It is a pain be so small and low to the ground but to be honest I use a flat short log as a seat and split away. I also use mine for kindling as it is so quick.

Happy to ask any questions on them.

Thanks

Ed

• 1 year later...

I realize this topic is more than a year old.

Have made changes to the splitter, and also how I work.  Small operation.  Would like to jump up to a processor but this works very well for now.

The splitter is a SuperSplit w/7hp Subaru.  I added forklift tubes to move it, and still be able to use it with a conveyor.  Last year I added a steer axle, by unbolting the original axle and moving it to the wedge end, and bolting a new leg/axle w/tongue to the engine end.  The tongue being on the proper end and also unpins, as not a trip hazard.  The spindles are found on-line under go-kart parts.

I no longer use a staging table.  For years, I cut half a cord of rounds, split half a cord of rounds.  My body was doing the same motions and I could feel it in my knees and neck.  That prompted me to look at how I could work both sides of the splitter and my body.  There wasn't room for two log decks, two staging tables and room to move logs around.  After several days of thinking on this, and trying different things I was stumped.  I had been thinking of what I needed.  Sitting on the forklift and looking around, the thought came "What can I do without?"  I got off the lift, rolled the staging table (on wheels) out of the way and cut an 8' long logs into rounds, shut the saw off, and split the six pieces.  Maybe...  I did it again.  The third time I let the splitter and conveyor run while not using them.  Removing the staging table eliminating lifting 5,800 pounds per cord, and it now fit.  I built  the second log deck.  

My knees/neck no longer bother as well because I'm working both sides (that's why I remove the splitter tongue).  Cut two logs and shut off the saw.  Split one and roll another forward in its place and push/pull to log end stop with peeve.  There are a series of holes drilled into the log deck to help do this.  Split the cut log on other side, and roll another forward and against end stop.  Cut two logs, sixteen pieces, repeat.  The small table is to set the saw on between cuts.  When the Posch is full, I shut the splitter/conveyor off and start the Posch, rotate the drum from under the conveyor, and bale a pallet, which is 1/4 cord.  Every two or three pallets I need to load the log decks again.

(A note for Havelock if he is reading, because he seems to have the same splitter.)

I also added a phenolic plastic top to the splitter table by unbolting the table mounts and bolting below the beam vs on top of the lower flange.  This drops the table 1/2", the thickness of the material.  Cut to fit and round the edges with a router.  This material grows in the sun, so only the leading edges were counter sunk and screwed to the original table bed.  Very slippery for re-splitting, very nice.  However, I never place my fingers around the end of a piece on the splitting table to pull it back, as shown in the previous video.  Never.  Instead, I use both hands if I can not grasp the edge with one hand to reposition.  That way one hand is not on the end and the other on the lever.

I enjoy reading your forums, and sharing as well.  It is why I bought the Posch, having read both pro/con user reviews on it here.  Very happy with that too.  It has saved me a lot of stacking, and improved seasoning.  No market for unseasoned firewood locally, it is mostly used by vacationers and second home owners.  Folks that heat with wood do their own.

The last photo shows the staging table and the extra lifting.  I have learned to start the saw with either hand, as I start it a lot more now.

Edit:  The photos do not show it, but cutting in one spot the chips can get quite deep, and need scooped out at the end of the day.  If not the log decks get too low for my long back.

IMG_4589.thumb.jpg.fd3e2c07df3bcc7124220369b735f90e.jpgIMG_5164.thumb.jpg.1b7237131b7ebebc966c34c36e8b8a57.jpgIMG_4593.thumb.jpg.0ab06af2fc138547e80af38ba4e787c9.jpgIMG_4596.thumb.jpg.e6da4dee2f4b2781f37f11a86068b809.jpgIMG_5154.thumb.jpg.0af0c4016ac1257d2c43da5192d96f00.jpgIMG_4078.thumb.jpg.24da85249b2de5336d858866e3fe093d.jpgIMG_0524.jpg.4b2636b797bf3ae7d1a1354ab07ae7eb.jpg

Edited by sandhill
add something
  • Like 1