kinetic energy splitters

Silverhooker

Kinetic energy splitter,

WoT!

like a well swung Axe or splitting Maul perhaps?

And, quite seriously, that is the key, build up the kinetic energy(speed) in the business end, with a big long accellerating over shoulder swing starting low, and finishing and at the very moment before impact, "free-wheeling" into the block, concentrating on the aim and control.

It should look smooth and effortless, if correctly executed (boy! have I not got a quare good memory)

Presumably exactly the same as a good powerful (& effortless looking) swing for driving a golf ball?

keep it simple(or hydraulic)

Edited by difflock

Silverhooker

Kinetic log splitters have recently been discussed - search the threads: "New super fast log splitter. Must watch." and "Kinetic log splitters". There you will see divided opinions. I think mine is brilliant. The 5.5 tonne is adequate for most purposes. Just make sure you get one with a bolt on table.

I like the speed of them, I haven't used one & i haven't seen the inner gubbins but I'd wager there'll be some parts that wear out quickly. Maybe safer bet to stick with hydraulic or some eastern Europeans with splitting mauls might be cheaper ;-)

We have a friend that is way quicker than a single blade hydraulic splitter, as quick as me and my mate was both cutting into pieces he was splitting with a maul, and we did this for about 6 hours, he's like a robot

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

This bloke has got the hang of his one

OK he's got pretty ideal timber there but I can nearly match that speed splitting knotty Scots Pine and oak. Still works, if needing two or three re-hits, for gnarly timber like alder. The fairly small wedge can handle rounds up to about 18 inch diameter and bigger than that gets a bit heavy to manoeuvre on the table.

The guy on the video really should be using ear defenders. And either a tractor bucket to catch - or something like an old kitchen table to slide - the split logs on to and hence save picking off the floor.