Electric mill trakmet vs woodland?

Ambisawrous

Looking at a new mill for use mainly for my own projects, have quite a lot of oak, ask and beech to thin out of the woodland on the farm and lots of uses including oak framing new build and repairs to existing, feather edge, post and rail etc. Have three phase so thinking electric best as have no intention of going mobile and have telehandler for loading etc.

Although I hope it will pay for itself in the long run I can't claim it will be an out and out commercial set up so needs to be good value shall we say so in the absence of other suggestions have narrowed down to HM 130 Woodland Mills or Trakmet 600 eco. I think the Trakmet has the edge at the moment as I think it has slightly bigger capacity? Flex is not a major factor as I intend to extend the bed significantly and bolt to a welded subframe, so build quality, ease of use, running costs are factors to consider.

Anyone care to comment? I do intend looking at both but users opinions appreciated!

I did some research about a year ago, viewing various saws in action and come to the conclusion that the TrakMet 600 was the best machine in my price range, solidly built and with a good choice of upgrades but the deal breaker for me was the fact that it was electric only which was a shame as that would mean the hassle of a 3 phase PTO gennie.

In the end I went for the Woodlands, it is value for money but I still hanker after a heavier built machine I can install log handling features to.

If I was in your position I would definitely plump for the TrakMet, you could stick a electric driven hydraulic pump onto it and set up a log handling system.

I agree an old Stenner would be great but I don't know much about them and I would have to find one at the right price transport it set it up, there might be parts needing replacing servicing etc. A new 'tin pot' mill will work straight out of the box and be very saleable in few years, and quite frankly I haven't got the energy for another project - I want to spend my spare time doing the fun bit! That said if anyone wants to find me a Stenner help set it up etc in return for the use of it that would something I would be happy to consider. There is a forestor just popped up on eBay in High Wycombe, looks a bit of a heap but it's cheap, probably for a reason, anyone think it's worth looking at?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• 3 weeks later...

Well folks Adamnralph was thinking of selling his Trakmet so offered to buy it and the deal was done, I hope his Stenner 48 goes well. Itching to have a go but too busy this week, have a couple of oak sticks to start with and then 40 acres to go at which hasn't been touched in at least 60 years. Thinning application in and lots of very nice oak and ash to thin some will be up to 100ft. I'm a newbie to milling so might be asking a few questions.