Kiln Dried 35 - 40% MC

danmar94

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not good and as said give them a call and hopefully it's a genuine mistake. On the other hand did they claim any moisture content? Kiln dried on it's own is meaningless just means they went in a kiln for a bit. If the supplier is carp look for one giving a guaranteed moisture content to your satisfaction. There are lots on here who can air dry below 20%

Hope you get it sorted

Cheers for the advice guys, supplier has been as good as gold and thinks it might have been a cock up on the rotation in the kiln. Arranging for a swap around when convenient for both :) As above, wasn't looking for a witch hunt, just making sure I wasn't being ott in testing the cores of the wood.

Not good and nothing wrong with checking at all!

We can get wood down to 20% just by air drying.

Was funny i was watching a video yesterday of a new logging firm thats popped up and they said their logs are kiln dried and moisture content of 20-30, and said that air dried logs are usually 30-40 lol made me chuckle.

Ring the firm and see what they say to your findings.

I'm on the lookout for a supplier of kiln dry if anyone has details please ?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

why kiln dried? if your not a producer getting rhi and plenty people on here offering air dried at same mc as good kiln dried, I have to ask why are you choosing kiln dried?

a bit of cut n paste from an email I got yesterday from the FC research I won't bother putting the whjole thing in:

I am certainly aware that most combustion equipment prefers the fuel not to be bone dry. In the case of wood chip boilers they will be commissioned for a specific range of moisture content, and log stoves too are designed to operate optimally at a specific range of moisture content, typically 15-25% (wet basis) as this is the value that dried wood will tend to stabilize at if stored outdoors, under cover in the British climate, even if it’s initially kiln dried lower.

In the case of woodchip boilers, if the fuel is too dry it can lead to higher levels of NOx emissions as a result of the combustion temperature being too high.

Edited by Logsnstuff

Because I only buy in and sell on I need to a supplier who can offer a good product at a good price. I've only been doing this three years and been sold some crap stuff.

Storage is not an issue as I can just buy shipping containers, but i can't afford to have too much money tied up either.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk