Double drum winches and high lead.

Has any one got any photos of double drum winches being used for high lead or any pearls of wisdom on high lead systems?

I know someone will say why don't you skyline it and it's because the site is only 200m wide. You could put it diagonal but it would just make more hassle.

It's going to make expensive timber.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Height

Good spar to give height and tower at tractor end. What winch are you thinking of using?

Old Jones leaflet here courtesy of Forestry-Memories.org.uk

http://www.forestry-memories.org.uk/pictures/document/1193.pdf

That takes me back to those early APF shows where Jones would have a skyline running and Highland bears forwarding the produce back to the end.

I briefly worked on a Igland skyline near Port Talbot in the late 70s and found it one of the most strenuous and frustrating jobs. The boss's wife ran the tower . Here is a picture of my mate putting up an intermediate support, note the Goliath boots and full safety gear:001_smile:

Pete_erecting_skyline.jpg.4e5d6b9c3352705f06050a14eb037dc5.jpg

However I did buy the double pulley and snatch block to extract when felling a carr, I never did become competent with the control and had lots more frustration unwinding the block when it got tangled.

I cannot remember being able to use it downhill which would probably suited better.

Working on SSSIs and ancient woodland I thought it would be the way to go because of the lower ground damage but by 1984 I had given up and gone the shortwood route with a tractor mounted grapple.

• Thanks 1

Height

Good spar to give height and tower at tractor end. What winch are you thinking of using?

Old Jones leaflet here courtesy of Forestry-Memories.org.uk

http://www.forestry-memories.org.uk/pictures/document/1193.pdf

Thanks for the replys.

I have an old Fransgard 3500, which is only 3.5 tonne but I am looking into a bigger winch for more pull and more cable.

I am going to have a play around with it in the next couple of weeks and see what it's capable of doing. I will put some photos up.

• 1 month later...