Tracked log splitter

scbk

Fair play, that is absolutely brilliant and has just put £500 on the value of every used TCP Dumper!!:thumbup:

I'd have little shame in having a go at one of them for myself.:thumbup1:

Eddie.

tcp seem to be the ones to go for if your wanting to do a conversion when we looked at them they were among the few that were fully hydraulic most were hydrostatic and no use i.e Honda and various other Chinese clones

how was the hydraulic pto done was it a diverter valve that just brings in the flow from all the pumps does this machine have a 2 or 3 section hyd pump looks a good job, slot in extensions for the table would be ideal for this

An extra slice on the hydraulic valve block

It has a dual pump with a solenoid in the valve block to combine the two feeds for high speed.

Yes I'm going to make a fixed 700mm wide table, and then 40mm box sliding into 50mm box for the extensions I think

tcp seem to be the ones to go for if your wanting to do a conversion when we looked at them they were among the few that were fully hydraulic most were hydrostatic and no use i.e Honda and various other Chinese clones

Yes and not many about 2nd hand either :sneaky2:

They're a hardy machine, but most of them look pretty shagged, spent most of there life on hire, and been rolled over a few times no doubt!

Another member on here modded an old lawn mower to mount and run his thor splitter a few years ago and put together this great thread on the build - http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/large-equipment/64501-another-one-deanos-brainwaves.html

This project is the next level though in terms of versatility. Really like how you can eliminate heavy lifting. Boy its rapid on pump 2. Auto return would be the icing on the cake for me.

• 2 months later...

A couple months on and it's almost there.

It now has a nice big table - undecided if I will add fold out extensions.

I had fitted a hydraulic cooler but it obviously wasn't up to the job as it blew up after a few hours use :blushing:.

So I sought professional help with the hydraulics, and they did all the testing etc, fitted a suitable oil cooler with thermostat, and also a bigger valve, as that was restricting it.

So the splitter now has auto return :001_cool:

I rigged up some LED lighting, as there's so little day light in the winter. It took a while to find suitable lights, most are far too bright for a small machine and would just dazzle you. there's 10 small stud lights and 2 mini worklamps. They're just perfect :001_smile::thumbup1:

It still need some more painting but it's too cold now (no heated workshop!)

DSCN1012x.jpg.31cd16900de8791d5d06220ee24e495c.jpg

DSCN1013x.jpg.5eb410f8de3bdb4377f223d0b7bdf812.jpg

DSCN1015x.jpg.aa6931a1c83ade01cb8cd866b0b52d67.jpg

DSCN1017x.jpg.fcfefcae29a74b4c2ec46fd004559be9.jpg

DSCN1019x.jpg.16059a942763daceb69d4db07ed36747.jpg

• Like 1

seems to me you might be better off using a dumpster for carrying the logs to the splitter...

seems like a lot of expense just to haul your splitter about..

Other than that observation, it looks pretty cool and would have one tomorrow if the economics added up....

I was only this week looking at a CS100 woodchipper clone mounted on tracks, but you could take the chipper off and put the dumpster to its intended use if you'd a mind to...

In which case you get the best of both worlds.....

• 3 years later...

3 years later.....

I was reminded of this thread this week as a notification pinged up.

Which was ironic as I spent a few late nights this week doing some much need modification on the "log catcher" where the splitter blade retracts in to.

I had patched up the old log catcher a good few times, so it was cut off and a new one made up from 2" angle iron.

There's now a length of angle iron running down either side of the cylinder. Should be much stronger

Here's a couple of photos, but you can't really see much with the lighting and the shininess of the fresh paint!

DSCN2369x.jpg

DSCN2375x.jpg

DSCN2377x.jpg

Edited by scbk
  • Like 3