Going back to working for yourself

Laurence sls

Yes I have.

Worked for myself from 2004 -2008. Mostly planting and hedge laying in the winter and spraying in the summer and a bit of tree work year round.

I finished up due to lack of work therefore not enough money, and spending all the money I did earn in the pub.

Moved from Devon to Hampshire and worked for someone else. It was better, more climbing, more money once I made team leader and no stress.

Then I met a girl and had kids. Needed more money and more flexibility.

So started up by myself about 18 months ago.

I do about half and half sub contract climbing and half for private customers.

Three main things I learnt from the first time round.

1 I advertised

2 I now charge decent rates.

3 I bought a chipper

But the best advise I can offer is don't get a missus and kids

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Many businesses and people in business lack a clear vision of what they want to achieve, beyond making a few shillings to survive.

Your first business failure/lesson should give you some idea of what you don't want.

With no clarity around why you're doing what you do it is difficult to engage with others in the longer term whether they be colleagues, clients or family. Growing through failures and assimilating the value from them is challenging, especially if one sees failures as negative experiences. Opportunities to learn and grow are all about us and business puts them into sharp relief because of the pressures it puts on us. Family gives us different learning. Involving ourselves in both at the same time is doubly challenging and doubly rewarding.

Self awareness is a fundamental part of learning. My journey is showing me the benefits of self awareness. The impact a driven entrepreneur can have on others is extensive and has the capacity to generate extraordinary results; sometimes beneficial and often detrimental to the sustainability of the business and relationships.

With guidance, I came into a more enlightened and mature phase of my life before my subconscious drive destroyed the business and my relationships.

My main focus now is about economic sustainability for me and my family and for the team and their families. As I gain clarity around why I started the business, I'm more able to communicate it with those around me to the extent that they are engaged with and choose to be part of the vision.

And Wow, do I feel so much more at ease with everyone. The pressure, responsibility and accountability is shared willingly because there is support and communication throughout the organisation.

Yes I have.

Worked for myself from 2004 -2008. Mostly planting and hedge laying in the winter and spraying in the summer and a bit of tree work year round.

I finished up due to lack of work therefore not enough money, and spending all the money I did earn in the pub.

Moved from Devon to Hampshire and worked for someone else. It was better, more climbing, more money once I made team leader and no stress.

Then I met a girl and had kids. Needed more money and more flexibility.

So started up by myself about 18 months ago.

I do about half and half sub contract climbing and half for private customers.

Three main things I learnt from the first time round.

1 I advertised

2 I now charge decent rates.

3 I bought a chipper

But the best advise I can offer is don't get a missus and kids

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Point 4 should say ...... make sure you find or have a understanding woman , my biggest battle running my business is the Mrs . Lol

Ste