Balfor or Thor splitter

jeanesy

I looked at the Oxdale and also a Riko. Neither trailer based. The Riko looked so much better built and I ordered one there and then. The order was placed two days before Christmas last year, so wasn't expecting it to be delivered till at least the middle of Jan. The day after boxing day a knock on the door and a 12 ton vertical splitter was mine. It has never failed to go through anything I have thrown at it. It is not used in anyway connected with a business, only my home use and I don't need to turn any odd shaped lumps away now that I couldn't get my axe or grenade through before. They were more than happy to demonstrate any unit they had in the yard and were more than happy to answer all my stupid questions. I am more than happy to use them again if the need ever arose. My votes with Riko !!!

:thumbup1: another for riko, pity your not nearer , you,d be more than welcome to try my 13 ton riko.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found my thor 13 to be bomb proof and very fast. I process mostly sub 14inch stuff though so never remove my 4 way head. I built the table so its higher up for my long back. Not sure if the petrol one is as fast though, but the build quality is superior. This machine in the video is 5 seasons old. [ame]

[/ame]

I've found my thor 13 to be bomb proof and very fast. I process mostly sub 14inch stuff though so never remove my 4 way head. I built the table so its higher up for my long back. Not sure if the petrol one is as fast though, but the build quality is superior. This machine in the video is 5 seasons old.

Same as Rowan lee I've been using a Thor driven off a pto for five seasons and given it dogs abuse all the way and it's a fantastic piece of equipment. I have the 4 way splitter and have used it about twice, as mentioned it's not necessary. I actually bought the splitter on the back of a recommendation from arbtalk 👌

I've found my thor 13 to be bomb proof and very fast. I process mostly sub 14inch stuff though so never remove my 4 way head. I built the table so its higher up for my long back. Not sure if the petrol one is as fast though, but the build quality is superior. This machine in the video is 5 seasons old.

Thats all very well and does look like a very good capable splitter, but people want to see its limits. I have heard before that these are great machines.

Got some prices on the two splitters today. I'm in quite a good area really, spectrum (balfor dealer) are an hour away joe turner (Thor) are about 20 mins away and fuelwood are an hour away. Kinda swaying towards the Thor, based solely on the YouTube vids and people's recommendations. Only thing I worry about is the portability of the bigger machines e.g. magik and balfor pro k. Both over 250kg I think.