Balfor or Thor splitter

jeanesy

I've got the Thor magic 13ton petrol powered version and I am pretty impressed with it very fast splitter I find if you run it at full throttle its too fast its quite a complicated design on the valve block and controls but it works very well if you do buy it get somebody to make up the extension table as its £500 quid on its own

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the Thor magic 13ton petrol powered version and I am pretty impressed with it very fast splitter I find if you run it at full throttle its too fast its quite a complicated design on the valve block and controls but it works very well if you do buy it get somebody to make up the extension table as its £500 quid on its own

Cheers for the reply. How do you find the weight of it for moving it about? Do you think two people could wheel onto a tipping trailer?

I'm looking for a splitter too and have looked at most of the ones mentioned here. The Thor magic and the horizontal Reco at the start of the thread are the 2 I'm most interested in. Has anyone any feedback on how they cope with big rings of very dead elm? Thanks.

Good man. Did you get any extra's? Table, 4 way head, etc.

I ordered the table with the foot pedal but didn't bother with the four way head. I figured most of my stuff is notty or big rings so didn't really need it. Will see how it goes though. Looking forward to getting my hands on it.

I've found my thor 13 to be bomb proof and very fast. I process mostly sub 14inch stuff though so never remove my 4 way head. I built the table so its higher up for my long back. Not sure if the petrol one is as fast though, but the build quality is superior. This machine in the video is 5 seasons old.

the petrol one is fast I think its too fast at full throttle how did you change yours to single hand operation pictures please

Glad to hear it's as fast as the pto version.

There are two silver lugs on either side of the machine where the control levers come to rest. I simply removed these and hey presto one hand enabled.

I found the leader control aspect a bit sensitive at times, the slightest bit of resistance on the guides (i.e. pine sap build up)and the ram would not extend and eventually got fed up and did the above.