Top tie

Marc

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right ok what's the friction like on retrieval compared to the pinto? Plus what's everyone's issue with the pinto top tie? I'm guessing safety? I've used it for years and had no issues at all I personally think it's great but I'm open to suggestions if there's anything better out there?

Cheers Luke

No issue with the pinto top tie, other than if you leave the butterfly loop too long you can get abrasion on that part of the rope on retrieval.

• 1 month later...

With regards to the PINTO used as a top tie it is not recommended by the manufacture, DMM, to be used in this way.

I have been told by people who work with DMM that it side loads the pulley. It had not been tested for the application you are using it for.

I am not saying you are not going to be OK using it but I made the decision to switch to an alternative T.I.P. after hearing that.

With regards to the PINTO used as a top tie it is not recommended by the manufacture, DMM, to be used in this way.

I have been told by people who work with DMM that it side loads the pulley. It had not been tested for the application you are using it for.

I am not saying you are not going to be OK using it but I made the decision to switch to an alternative T.I.P. after hearing that.

I am aware of that although I feel it is just a backside covering excercise by DMM, it is still a valid point though.

Hence this thread to gauge what other alternative people are using, I am going to try a mallion at some point, along with playing around with knot blocking but I would be interested in what alternative your using?

Hey Marc, after our discussion on that weekend a while back I thought I would let you know how im getting on..

Im currently using two anchors.. Knot blocking a cambium saver for trees where I think I may want to come down with a redirect or two left in.. Ive been using an access line and then setting the cambium saver anchor above with a short tail.. the short tail then ties into the access line on the side you come up on. This way when I get down I can tie the access line tails together to make a loop, retrieve the cambium saver and in a worst case scenario if the CS gets stuck the access line is still in place and i dont have to mess about re throwing. Ive not got it stuck yet which is handy. The other benefit is there is always a rescue line in place and you dont have to faff about feeding miles of rope through the cambium saver.

If its just a small climb for a few bits and pieces ive been using the singing tree quickie that ewan mentioned.. I know some of them have been recalled due to the pin issue. I have played with mine however and I cant get it to fail or pop the pin out at all. Its awesome because like the pinto you can go up on a base anchor and convert immediately to a top tie without end untieing the base anchor if you choose too. The only downside is its not quite as smooth as the pinto at retrieving a redirect so i just tend to plan my climb so i finish in line with the retrieval leg.. I have been thinking you could fit two small pinto spacers on the pin to aid retrieval. but im worried about dropping the little buggers.. Safe climbing for the new year gents

• 2 months later...
Is treestuff the only place you can get those singing tree quickies? I'm keen to get one but at £36 for postage!. It pretty much doubles the cost of the item. It's such a small item too. I use to get vinyls from America and it never use to cost that much postage.

Snap!! There postage costs seem mega and then probably cop customs charge aswell

hook of the tubes, of the underwater cylinders

IMAG1860.jpg.e5ad534bb4f6190fd10e9abefc7bda3d.jpg

After having met up with some of you on the weekend for another play about with SRT with hopefully a positive step towards making SRT an industry standard one thing that struck me whilst looking at all the different configuration is the lack of what for me is a simple and elegant top tie soloution.

I use the pinto and carabiner to me it is secure with very few drawbacks other than retrieval if you have to pull through/over branches. The negatives being we are configuring a piece of hardware in a way it is not designed to be used, if you capture the working leg in the carabiner also you are backing up the pinto only a carabiner is not ideal in a choked configuration.

I also like knot blocking using a cambium saver, with this you are using a product designed as a top anchor with rings albeit not in a configuration it was intended, the advantages are it retrieves more easily over a choked pinto. It's negatives are, it's not midline attachable (unless you bodge something together like I have) and if you are moving back to your tie in point the weight of the rope can cause large amounts of slack in your system- there are soloution a to this like using a quick release clamp to stop the line falling through but it is not particularly robust in my opinion although I would happily use it.

The best soloution I saw was using some kind of Mallion or shackle as a top tie, only there is nothing particularly ideal at present that I have seen.

Any thoughts on a good simple robust retrievable top tie?

Is treestuff the only place you can get those singing tree quickies? I'm keen to get one but at £36 for postage!. It pretty much doubles the cost of the item. It's such a small item too. I use to get vinyls from America and it never use to cost that much postage.

You can get canny deals on ropes, cords and throwlines. Might be worth getting a bigger order together.