Tools worthy of a mention.

aspenarb

15 hours ago, shavey said:

Thought these where worth a mention trewhella monkey strainers makes quick work of barb wiring

They work well on line wire too. The way the cam rotates to grip the wire means it is less damaging so they can be used on spring steel wire also.

I look at the set hanging on my shed wall and wonder if I will ever use them again, fencing was never a thing for me but repairing breaks was fairly common.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Macpherson said:

Yep. I assumed that, I only have a small stock fence around my garden but without the correct tools over uneven ground it's difficult to make it look tidy, it was just 2 completely different prices for the exact same tool that caught my eye, cheers.

Yes your right it can be a pain over uneven ground yes there seems to be a lot of that with the prices nowadays 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, openspaceman said:

They work well on line wire too. The way the cam rotates to grip the wire means it is less damaging so they can be used on spring steel wire also.

I look at the set hanging on my shed wall and wonder if I will ever use them again, fencing was never a thing for me but repairing breaks was fairly common.

If you ever decide too part company with them give me a shout

I gave up with wire strainers like that, now everything is done with gripples, nice and tight with minimal fuss and messing about, you can pull a full roll of barbed up in one go from the middle if you need to. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Will C said:

I gave up with wire strainers like that, now everything is done with gripples, nice and tight with minimal fuss and messing about, you can pull a full roll of barbed up in one go from the middle if you need to. 

Thought you'd have been talking about Cab climate control systems or the best User Specific Seat Memory in tractors by now!

Seriously though, gripples are a great invention.

• Haha 1

This was my best buy for fencing. Much nicer than playing around with chains and less risk of taking one to the head if it snaps.

You can do short stretches of netting with two people but I'm normally using a quickfencer or just chain the netting to the digger with our old holding bar 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-57547-Fence-Wire-Tensioning/dp/B0002GUM6Y/ref=asc_df_B0002GUM6Y/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=226152056294&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11855480945434765388&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045389&hvtargid=pla-421602825083&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, gdh said:

This was my best buy for fencing. Much nicer than playing around with chains and less risk of taking one to the head if it snaps.

You can do short stretches of netting with two people but I'm normally using a quickfencer or just chain the netting to the digger with our old holding bar 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-57547-Fence-Wire-Tensioning/dp/B0002GUM6Y/ref=asc_df_B0002GUM6Y/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=226152056294&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11855480945434765388&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045389&hvtargid=pla-421602825083&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

That's what I've just been looking at to sort out my fence, good to get a positive recommendation👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gdh said:

I have an earlier version of that that I dug up ages ago. It needs a new handle and  pivot bolt as the current one is too worn for the gripper to operate, I have never used it. It strikes me it depends on stapling the wire hard onto the post and I prefer to run the wire back on itself and running through the staple.

1162552478_Screenshotfrom2022-04-0509-19-58.thumb.png.a57e2bf99a12996b9a5c04be71875655.png

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gdh said:

Did you find the edges on the grip too square too start with when new on high tensile barb wire it would break