CS38 pole climbing best practise advice please

Paul73

The problem with just having a flip line or lanyard around the stem on your side D's is that if your slip or if a splike comes out, you could fall a fair way before something catches and you stop. If you have your rope and what ever system you use attached aswell, not even that tight, that will choke and stop you falling a lot quicker.

I often see experienced climbers going up on just one point of attachment though.

Hi Paul,

On a pole, your anchor should be a sling choked on itself with 2 karabiners positioned 'back to back' with gates opposite each other to minimise the chance of accidental opening or 2 rings like the ones on a harness bridge choked on the sling and then the sling choked on the stem.

As regards adding to the flip line, you can use your climbing line around the stem, crossing it if you wish or tie a running bowline around the stem, with a prussik onto you bridge and advance the system as you move up the stem.

Hope this makes sense

Best practice is now not to use 2 crabs and ideally use a closed system such as ring or cambium saver type that can not inadvertently be opened

Or certainly that's what they said on last Nptc update.

Best practice is now not to use 2 crabs and ideally use a closed system such as ring or cambium saver type that can not inadvertently be opened

Or certainly that's what they said on last Nptc update.

I mentioned using the ring method in my first post and that's what I have when I'm training, 2 rings actually to increase the bend ratio of the rope but I'm yet to have a candidate turn up with them so I still talk about using karabiners as most people with have these on them.

I mentioned using the ring method in my first post and that's what I have when I'm training, 2 rings actually to increase the bend ratio of the rope but I'm yet to have a candidate turn up with them so I still talk about using karabiners as most people with have these on them.

When I did mine, about 3 years ago we used a chokered sling with a double pulley (side by side). That way both climbers systems could be attached to the overhead pulley.

As mentioned, 2 krabs in the sling with the gates apposing to minimize the risk of both gates opening. Main line taken up as a second system. Rope through the krabs so acting as a false crotch then rescue as normal. For people who are totally new I get them going upand down a few times, I go first and set a false crotch and set up a "top rope" belay. Sometimes gives them more confidence early on.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished cs38 last week and used system Riggerbear has described (with ring rather than 2 krabs).

When not anchored I found taking climbing line up wrapped with an extra turn around stem a good back up (on hitch climber - mainly because I already had it set up for normal climbing).

I did actually come off (both spikes slipped) on a smooth beech about 12ft up and slid straight down the stem with just lanyard slowing me down. Grazed my arms up nicely so will never forget to keep climbing line attached now! (Not the instructor's fault I should add!) If I'd been attached it would just have cinched down and I'd only have slipped a foot or so. Live and learn.