Rope protector

OsbornesGSltd

for light zip line rigging, (I've seen it before but want to ask people on here) is it safe to just put a carabiner through a spliced eye, wrap it round the tree and clip it back onto it self as apposed to tieing it on with a running bowline, then having to keep untieing and retieing every time you want to move around the tree. Once again I would only use for light rigging and also would a rope Protector be at all necessary?? Many thanks

Zip lining can create big forces. Best practice would say no but many people do it anyway.

Why not practice and get good at tying the correct knots in the right applications? Short cuts can lead to less than good practices which in turn can lead to mistakes and problems.

If you adopt a "how much can I get away with" mindset to rigging then at some point you could get caught out. Personally I think it's good to try and always give yourself a good safety margin. It's one thing to make the odd short cut however, these things can soon become habitual. to advise someone it's a good idea on a treework forum is another thing altogether

Don't mean to come across as pedantic.

Is using a chokered krab on a rigging line going to kill you straight away? Not likely but adopting that kind of approach to treework might end up biting you one day.

Stay safe.

If you're asking which knot used to anchor the speedline to the tree?

A clove hitch with a timber hitch lock, just like I use to anchor a pulley block.

On the piece being zipped?

A girth hitch using a nylon loop n steel biner.

Like in this vid mate.

Jomoco

Clove hitch with a timber hitch lock is the answer I'm after, that's perfect thank you for your help :) oh and nice saw

Yes, I have to admit I find the best was to learn is too watch idiots on YouTube mess up big time lol, learn by there mistakes. I presume you mean a running bowline is good for straight up trunks is because once you've taken a piece off you can loosen it, let it drop 2-3 foot and pull it tight without even having to undo the knot? Then repeat