Fungal disease and canker on sycamore

hesslemount

I'd love to do a Picus Sonic Tomograph; I'm tipping the trunk base is compromised. I hate taking trees down unnecessarily but could you make the call to leave it if you lived there. A simple hammer [emoji375] test tells me something isn't right. Ok not a hollow sound but not the sound that intact wood makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Bacterial wetwood is not the worry; more the black / orange exudate.

The black / orange are the exudates from the wetwood causing bacteria, the white is when it dries out. Pseudomonas bacteria which causes bleeding canker in horse chestnut is one of the main causes of bacterial wetwood but there are lesser known bacteria associated also.

The presence of the bacteria within the wood raises CO2 levels which in turn increases internal pressure forcing out the sap - hence the wet appearance.

The black / orange are the exudates from the wetwood causing bacteria, the white is when it dries out. Pseudomonas bacteria which causes bleeding canker in horse chestnut is one of the main causes of bacterial wetwood but there are lesser known bacteria associated also.

The presence of the bacteria within the wood raises CO2 levels which in turn increases internal pressure forcing out the sap - hence the wet appearance.

Sorry meant to say the white is when the forced sap dries out.

I'd love to do a Picus Sonic Tomograph; I'm tipping the trunk base is compromised. I hate taking trees down unnecessarily but could you make the call to leave it if you lived there. A simple hammer [emoji375] test tells me something isn't right. Ok not a hollow sound but not the sound that intact wood makes.

If it doesn't sound hollow it probably isn't so I doubt a picus will help much but it will sound different as the wood has a high moisture content.

You wouldn't base fell or retain just on the info in the photo. What is the target? What is the vitality of the tree like? What is the exposure? Wetwood is usually insignificant unless there are canopy symptoms or other issues present. If you are unsure then by all means get it inspected but I wouldn't personally be breaking out the expensive Picus test at this point.

Cheers