Are wood burners getting smaller!!!

cessna

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any woodburner over 5kw fitted now needs and external air source/vent. To aid combustion building regs. Basicly a hole in the wall to outside. pmsl

Is this a precaution against carbon monoxide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An external air supply should be of benefit & help stop the cold back syndrome or making other rooms colder due to internal air being drawn into the woodburner.

Bit more info on this thread here: http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/35153-woodburning-stove-internal-external-air.html

cheers, steve

Stoves getting smaller???

Is it not because people are buying these 'new builds', and are then having a 'feature (look what I've got) stove' fitted???

Have you actually seen the internal sizes of the rooms in these new builds, even though they state 'family sized / 4 bed etc.'...??

By the time you get you monster / 'look at me' / mega wide screen TV in, along with the furniture, you not got much room left for an average sized stove, so have to go for a smaller one....

Or they just went for the 'that looks nice' one, without doing any research about heat output, what size log it can take..??

I cut my logs to 9" as standard. Anything cut to 8" is £10/cube more and if they want it to 7" its £20/cube more. Takes a lot longer and never had anyone complain about the extra cost yet. probably do about 5-7 cube of shorter logs each year.

As you say it is amazing how much longer it takes to cut 9"compared to even a 10"log especially if they like them split small . Yet another instance of how an extra 1" or 2 makes all the difference:lol::001_rolleyes:

I have a small Stanley stove (small livingroom), I cut my own logs about 6" long which doesn't bother me, but what I over looked and maybe others that buy smaller stoves over look too, is that I can't get enough wood into it to burn all night. Even with the vent closed to almost suffocating point it's still out every morning, and the glass is caked in tar because there is not enough draw with the vent almost closed. In my opinion small stoves are a waste of money, in time i'll be replacing mine with something bigger, so I can have a small fire when i'm in the room and then throw a few big logs on and close the vent when going to bed.

I have a small Stanley stove (small livingroom), I cut my own logs about 6" long which doesn't bother me, but what I over looked and maybe others that buy smaller stoves over look too, is that I can't get enough wood into it to burn all night. Even with the vent closed to almost suffocating point it's still out every morning, and the glass is caked in tar because there is not enough draw with the vent almost closed. In my opinion small stoves are a waste of money, in time i'll be replacing mine with something bigger, so I can have a small fire when i'm in the room and then throw a few big logs on and close the vent when going to bed.

Not something you should be doing. Hope you have good brushes and a CO detector.

Very inefficient way to burn wood as well.

Not something you should be doing. Hope you have good brushes and a CO detector.

Very inefficient way to burn wood as well.

CO detector on the mantle above the fire, in the hall, and one in the kitchen, an old scouring pad and some white vinegar cleans the glass, but I don't even try to keep the stove lit all night anymore.