Fencing price query

Maxnaggle

Agreed, on the face of it it does sound a lot, unless there was something like having to break out old concrete/negotiation utilities etc, there would be quite a big price increase if it was 8ft high as they'd need at least 10 foot posts and plenty of concrete to stop it blowing over with that kind of height, check the specs and get another quote I'd say.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies guys :001_smile:

To go into more detail, the neighbours back garden has been land scaped level, leaving a 3 foot step up between boundaries. So from my mum's side I would say the fence is about 5 foot, more like 8 foot on the neighbours side.

It looks as though it was installed in a way so that it acted like a retaining wall... As well as a fence. And now it's started to fail, no biggie really, as it's only holding a fairly small amount of material..

So the builder has quoted £1800 for the retaining wall, which to me seems fair. Again it's about 7m long, approx 3ft high. .. simple block wall.

And then on top of that a quote for approx £1300 for the fence, which will sit just in front of the wall.

Like I said digging looks good, land was green before the house was built on it

No mention of services to negotiate, and when asked for a break down of the costs he declined saying 'he doesn't do that' because he's dyslexic.

No mention of services to negotiate, and when asked for a break down of the costs he declined saying 'he doesn't do that' because he's dyslexic.

So is Richard Branson! Can't see why that would stop anyone saying materials cost A, labour B, disposal of old fencing C. When I do a fence I break it down so can get material costs in advance to cover the order and labour after it's all completed

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Thanks mate. Mum has voiced her concern but the neighbour who has got the quote says she trusts this builder, so she doesn't really want to get another quote. Other issue is that my mum isn't paying for the wall, only going halves on the fence. So it's just all a bit complicated really! All I know it's that I would do the fence for a fraction of that price.

Have done plenty of fencing, just never priced for any.