Imported kiln dry logs ?

JohnSlogs

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity if I bought wood from you and then split it with an axe would it still be 10-18% on that split face? I don't know anyone who can get it that low internally around here without a lot of time and work

I don't use short pins on the face I use a delmhorst meter where you set species and temp and it's a hammer drive with 3" pins

It's called marketing! I have 2 products, one I call seasoned that is an average of 30% moisture and one kiln dried that's all under 20% moisture. They both go in the kiln and just come out at different times. I'm not fooling anyone because I'm telling them exactly what they are getting. Doesn't matter if i call it seasoned and kiln dried or red wood and blue wood. But for the kiln dried I charge £25 per cubic metre more so why wouldn't I split the 2 products and charge more, It's just good business.

As an outsider to this with no foot in either camp I have been reading this with interest.

Whether or not it was ash's intention but calling the lower MC product kiln dried and the higher one seasoned is infering that seasoned wood is inferior to the kiln dried product.

As has already been said if you use wood that would be left to rot then no difference in the C footprint but I would be interested how ash powers his kiln.

As an outsider to this with no foot in either camp I have been reading this with interest.

Whether or not it was ash's intention but calling the lower MC product kiln dried and the higher one seasoned is infering that seasoned wood is inferior to the kiln dried product.

As has already been said if you use wood that would be left to rot then no difference in the C footprint but I would be interested how ash powers his kiln.

I use softwood "chipwood" mainly. It's sold as "chipwood" so if I don't buy it, it would be on its way to be burnt somewhere else, probably at 40%+ moisture in the biomass plant in port talbot

The exchange rate is already making an impact on fieldsports ammunition and chainsaw bars, to name just 2. Imported Kiln Dried Firewood price increase is soon to follow, which will impact on the amount that arrives on our shores.

At least those that dry in the UK are supporting the regional economy to a degree. (Those EU driven Tariffs need to be curbed though ! :thumbdown:)

I use softwood "chipwood" mainly. It's sold as "chipwood" so if I don't buy it, it would be on its way to be burnt somewhere else, probably at 40%+ moisture in the biomass plant in port talbot

Good luck to you, you obviously have a formula that works for you.

The main point is that a kiln dried log at 20% and an air dried log at 25% pretty much deliver the same BTU. However a log at 25% and one at 30% makes

a much bigger difference in burn quality so that extra 5% in my opinion is crucial.

That's me done on the matter, have a good Sunday. :thumbup1:

thank you glad someone understood my point, call it something else and I wouldn't have any issue.

disagree with or inaccurate his seasoned logs are kiln dried so whats the problem in calling them what they are 30%mc kiln dried logs instead of branding them seasoned and impacting merchants who actually provide decent quality seasoned logs under 20% MC

and to the other comment he isn't trolling people yes he is, he's made his post knowing exactly the reaction he would get he's been on here a number of years now and knows the divide between kiln driers and air drying merchants and marketing his wet logs with the same reference as others use for ready to burn logs, it's confrontational!

Why is he impacting anyone else?

He is selling his products stating what they are.

You should concern yourself with your own offering imo

I have no issue with what Ash is doing, the fact he is shifting a good amount of logs shows he is getting something right. For me the crucial thing is honesty with customers about moisture content then being consistent in delivering what you claim. We could argue all day about what the terminology seasoned means.

On the subject of kiln dried it has often seemed a bit odd that some merchants are so against it. I see it as an opportunity. We are all in business, the fundamental object of which is to make a living/profit. Rightly or wrongly there is a big market out there for kiln dried. 1/3 of all our sales are kiln dried, on these sales we make more profit. At no point do we lie to customers we just say that the kiln dried are about 5-10% drier and let them decide. If they want kiln dried happy days, then it is down to the customer to decide if they are happy with what they buy. For me this is basic sensible business.

Judging by the houses of many of my customers buying kiln dried they are far from stupid. They can quickly work out what's what and make the choice on what they buy.

The log business is a tough place to make profit. If customers want to pay a premium let's make the most of the opportunity.