Imported kiln dry logs ?

JohnSlogs

Also, although I see where Big J is coming from (people taking responsibility for their own seasoning/attaining 30%MC:biggrin:), I doubt there are that many customers who are willing to buy in the sort of bulk he is talking about.

Agreed. Many end users just don't have the space to store more than a cube or so. :001_smile:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to stop saying selling unseasoned logs at £60 is more profitable than selling the same logs at £120. Twice I've given you the simple figures of if I sold 1500 cubic metres of your £60 unseasoned and my £120 kiln dried and it was £75k up PER YEAR.

There will always be the customers who ring early in the year for fresh cut stuff, there will always be people who are happy to trawl through the forest for logs to cut up themselves. There will always be customers who think kiln dried is nonsense and "burn too quick". There will always be customers for you air dried guys that sell what you do and there will always be customers that are happy to buy and burn my 30% logs. There will always be people who want kiln dried firewood and they are adamant they want kiln dried. Customers that are happy with softwood, others that only want hardwood. Some who want a loose tipped load, others who want it in nets and others who want us to stack it. I don't know why they are blithering idiots if they want dry logs ready to burn to turn up on their driveway!

We live in a time that Tesco will deliver your shopping to your kitchen! People can't be arsed to go to the shop anymore!

All the reasons you list above are the reasons I am delighted I don't supply the domestic firewood market. I don't care about people that put their stove on a couple of times a month for ambiance. I don't care about people who specify by species, moisture content or indeed almost anything else. If a customer wants great value firewood delivered in bulk at a price that is directly competitive with fossil fuel heating, I'm your man. If you want a cube of kiln dried cherry firewood with a sprinkling of basil and thyme on top, I am not!

[ame]

[/ame]

Seriously though, I believe a stove's primary function is heating. I just don't know how customers can afford to put theirs on at the prices being charged for kiln dried hardwood. In the depths of winter we burn a cube a week - that's £120 a week to keep my house warm. It's nonsense.

All the reasons you list above are the reasons I am delighted I don't supply the domestic firewood market. I don't care about people that put their stove on a couple of times a month for ambiance. I don't care about people who specify by species, moisture content or indeed almost anything else. If a customer wants great value firewood delivered in bulk at a price that is directly competitive with fossil fuel heating, I'm your man. If you want a cube of kiln dried cherry firewood with a sprinkling of basil and thyme on top, I am not!

Seriously though, I believe a stove's primary function is heating. I just don't know how customers can afford to put theirs on at the prices being charged for kiln dried hardwood. In the depths of winter we burn a cube a week - that's £120 a week to keep my house warm. It's nonsense.

3862356718_e5c3925cfc_z.jpg.7da1a3294589b12a0f75e9896c06203f.jpg

Big J asks the chimney sweep if he'll have time to do the other six fireplaces at J acres.

Perhaps the education of customers needs to start with the stove retailers. Instead of specifying kiln dried hardwood only, they could explain the benefits (both in terms of cost and quality) of drying your own firewood, as well as explaining that there is no golden timber species. Hardwood, softwood, it doesn't matter. It just needs to be dry.

I honestly believe that 90% of firewood customers have the capacity to store a year's supply of logs on their property. Quite why they don't is beyond me. I've not headed into a winter with anything less than a winter's worth of logs for over 5 years now.

Not everyone lives in a house with massive garden. Not everyone uses wood as the main source of heat. Perhaps people would prefer to have a garden for sitting in, not storing logs, hence why no one buys part seasoned wood and will buy seasoned wood at a good price from a good seller.

Not to hard to understand.

Not everyone lives in a house with massive garden. Not everyone uses wood as the main source of heat. Perhaps people would prefer to have a garden for sitting in, not storing logs, hence why no one buys part seasoned wood and will buy seasoned wood at a good price from a good seller.

Not to hard to understand.

Bah!

It's a British thing. Everyone else in Europe seems to be able to dry their own firewood. We (collectively, as a nation) just can't be arsed.

I honestly believe that 90% of firewood customers have the capacity to store a year's supply of logs on their property. Quite why they don't is beyond me. I've not headed into a winter with anything less than a winter's worth of logs for over 5 years now.

Have you seen the price of log stores? a cheap 2m3 store is £120. For that you get a cheap looking structure that might last 15 years as long as you don't throw the logs in. My dad wanted a nice log store for the garden... £300 for a decent looking one... He decided not to bother....

Unless you have redundant outbuildings seasoning your own logs could be expensive....

Perhaps if log merchants could sell cheap log stores they could push bulk log sales as well?

You need to stop saying selling unseasoned logs at £60 is more profitable than selling the same logs at £120. Twice I've given you the simple figures of if I sold 1500 cubic metres of your £60 unseasoned and my £120 kiln dried and it was £75k up PER YEAR.

There will always be the customers who ring early in the year for fresh cut stuff, there will always be people who are happy to trawl through the forest for logs to cut up themselves. There will always be customers who think kiln dried is nonsense and "burn too quick". There will always be customers for you air dried guys that sell what you do and there will always be customers that are happy to buy and burn my 30% logs. There will always be people who want kiln dried firewood and they are adamant they want kiln dried. Customers that are happy with softwood, others that only want hardwood. Some who want a loose tipped load, others who want it in nets and others who want us to stack it. I don't know why they are blithering idiots if they want dry logs ready to burn to turn up on their driveway!

We live in a time that Tesco will deliver your shopping to your kitchen! People can't be arsed to go to the shop anymore!

Can't argue with that