Imported kiln dry logs ?

JohnSlogs

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's 10% on the outside and 30% inside its probably averaging less than 20% across the whole log anyway. So of course it burns well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is at 10% on the outside and 30% on the inside then it is at 30% - wrap it up any way you want - its not ready to burn and "seasoned" firewood should be ready to go into a fire

Cheers

mac

Exactly. Sorry ash you are totally missing the point. Fresh is fresh, stale is stale. Seasoned is universally under a certain percentage.

Yes and for my product I'm calling that percentage "an average of 30%".

It's really not that hard to understand.

Like I have said before, there is no rule, no law, nobody saying I HAVE to advertise seasoned under 25% so I'm not. If my seasoned is not up to scratch why do I sell 1500+ cubic metres of it a year, with a large percentage of that being return customers. If they are happy I'm happy, in the last 6 years of doing it I haven't had a single complaint about my seasoned firewood not burning. So to be honest, I really couldn't give 2 hoots about what most of you think!

You crack on selling your superior air dried firewood that you all test the split face of and every single log you have ever sold has been under 25% moisture! [emoji106]

CW seem to be selling a fair amount of timber (17,000 tons) under the banner of seasoned being an average of 40% for the last 20 years so let's all report them to trading standards....

I don't think much that I burn is under 25%. I'm presently sat in my pants and a shirt, it's 23c in the room, the fire is shut down fully and more than halfway up the safe operation zone of the flue thermometer. It's a big stove though.

I do sometimes think that these modern tiny stoves are rather like the modern trend for downsized car engines. Yes, under strict test conditions they can perform well, but in the real world they don't. I think that a stove is best if it can effectively burn a range of qualities of fuel. Sometimes, due to either the weather, lack of supply or other reasons, the logs going in just won't be perfect.

Must admit cant see what the fuss is about calling sub 30% logs seasoned. Loads of guys knock out logs straight from "seasoned" roundwood where non of it's sub 30%. Barn dried, kiln dried, air dried ,seasoned all meaningless in the context of moisture content. Must admit was pretty surprised when CW sent a sample pack of their products and there "seasoned" logs were 40% which is not far from fresh cut. We guarantee average bellow 25% but the centre can be all of that but outside more like 16%. Cant get bellow 20% here in the depths of a soggy Dartmoor winter as the outside goes back up to 20-22%. All Air dried for what it's worth.

Yes and for my product I'm calling that percentage "an average of 30%".

It's really not that hard to understand.

Like I have said before, there is no rule, no law, nobody saying I HAVE to advertise seasoned under 25% so I'm not. If my seasoned is not up to scratch why do I sell 1500+ cubic metres of it a year, with a large percentage of that being return customers. If they are happy I'm happy, in the last 6 years of doing it I haven't had a single complaint about my seasoned firewood not burning. So to be honest, I really couldn't give 2 hoots about what most of you think!

You crack on selling your superior air dried firewood that you all test the split face of and every single log you have ever sold has been under 25% moisture! [emoji106]

CW seem to be selling a fair amount of timber (17,000 tons) under the banner of seasoned being an average of 40% for the last 20 years so let's all report them to trading standards....

Fair play to you ash, that's a lot of firewood.

If I START a fire with 30% logs, they would hiss and the glass go black, sure after a little while they would burn just fine. Ok once the stove is really going...

Fair play to you ash, that's a lot of firewood.

If I START a fire with 30% logs, they would hiss and the glass go black, sure after a little while they would burn just fine. Ok once the stove is really going...

I think that the moisture content has to be a fair bit higher than 30% to get it to hiss.

Anyway, I do agree that there has to be a consensus in the industry as to what constitutes 'seasoned', but I dispute that sub 20% is necessary. Desirable yes, necessary no. Also, not really achievable here in soggy Central Belt Scotland in winter - even planks in barns where they never see a raindrop will be just over 20% by mid winter.