Imported kiln dry logs ?

JohnSlogs

I don't really use the biomass boiler much now as it's less work to sell the firewood green and sell the offcuts for biomass by the lorry load. It takes a lot of offcuts to dry firewood from green and try as I might, I just cannot reconcile the idea of burning firewood to dry firewood. It's loopy.

I personally dislike dealing with more than a few customers at any one time. The idea of dealing with hundreds of firewood customers who are so disorganised as to wait until the last log before ordering more brings me out in a cold sweat. I suppose the premium price is justifiable just for that!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a great idea to market a spring-early summer promotion selling green/part seasoned firewood for customers (will do it again myself this year). Explain the deal and benefits. Let them make up their own minds, bit of cash flow to help things along. Educating, making some bucks and slowly showing the "Norwegian way"

Ash smith I can understand your point but I'm curious as if you could also sell 30% and sub 25% air dried as a separate category? IMO 30% is part seasoned.

Would three categories/price points not give you a possible larger market?

I'm in the process of building a solar kiln for lumber but may throw in some 4 foot split firewood lengths and market them if there's space from time to time. (Made a small solar kiln a few years back and it worked ok, but going bigger and different design this time)

General point being more options, simple defined explanations of products, educational for the public and making money.

It's called marketing! I have 2 products, one I call seasoned that is an average of 30% moisture and one kiln dried that's all under 20% moisture. They both go in the kiln and just come out at different times. I'm not fooling anyone because I'm telling them exactly what they are getting. Doesn't matter if i call it seasoned and kiln dried or red wood and blue wood. But for the kiln dried I charge £25 per cubic metre more so why wouldn't I split the 2 products and charge more, It's just good business.

if it's 30% it's not seasoned has to be under 25% but both are kiln dried. this is the kind of bad marketing that is extremely annoying and gets emails sent to trading standards

If you're HETAS certified, there is an achievable standard to meet that dictates mc, branchwood %, log size and so on. Sure you don't have to comply with it, I do though and I suggest that flogging 30% as "seasoned" is BS. Just call it unseasoned or part-seasoned.

But who states I can't sell it as "seasoned"?

It's not unseasoned because it's been dried. The outside is usually 10-15% and the inside is usually 26-30%.

Tell me the definition of part seasoned? Only been drying for 6 months?

I've read a million times that to season wood properly you have to leave it for at least a year. Well I have had oak that's still been 50% inside after a year so can I sell that as seasoned because it's been left for a year?

Also this average 30% seasoned stuff I have in my stove is rubbish.... [emoji849] no heat out of it at all...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1477164802.478395.jpg.c083d800100506b8a7f14539654837d4.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1477164832.817644.jpg.d780a077f27f8fac96b1a467b2834b80.jpg

if it's 30% it's not seasoned has to be under 25% but both are kiln dried. this is the kind of bad marketing that is extremely annoying and gets emails sent to trading standards

Right... who says for me to advertise seasoned Firewood as seasoned firewood it has to be under 25% moisture?

How is it bad marketing? I'm marketing a product at an average of 30% moisture and that's what I'm selling.??

Trading standards DO NOT have a rule for the moisture content of wood! Like I've already said IF i was advertising a product at let's say "seasoned firewood under 25% moisture" and selling it at 30% moisture then trading standards might want to get involved.

Just to remind you all I AM TELLING THE CUSTOMER EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE GETTING.

Right... who says for me to advertise seasoned Firewood as seasoned firewood it has to be under 25% moisture?

How is it bad marketing? I'm marketing a product at an average of 30% moisture and that's what I'm selling.??

Trading standards DO NOT have a rule for the moisture content of wood! Like I've already said IF i was advertising a product at let's say "seasoned firewood under 25% moisture" and selling it at 30% moisture then trading standards might want to get involved.

Just to remind you all I AM TELLING THE CUSTOMER EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE GETTING.

do your own research the information is out there and what you are doing is misinforming the public and creating unnecessary complications wood at 30% is not seasoned and has never been considered seasoned. like I said in my last post tell them your wood is 30% and kiln dried which it is bu you know fine most people wont buy it.

How am I miss leading them though? I've told them it's an average of 30%? To be honest most of the time it's less than 30% but I cover my own ass just encase there's a few crates out of the 2500+ a year I sell that are 30/31 in the dead middle of the log and not 26/30% like normal.

They are all 10/15% on the outside of the log, how many people on here see companies putting the moisture metre on the outside of the log and saying "look all our firewood is dried to under 20%. Yes it is but it's still 30/35% on the inside!

If seasoned wood is supposed to be 25% moisture and you sell it at 15% is that miss leading them then? Because I hear from customers quite often "I won't go for the kiln dried that burns too quick" so do you tell your customers if a batch your selling to them is 15% not 25%?