Pick up choices

MaxWheeler

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My budget is extremely low because I haven't made a great deal of money in the last two years and don't have that much to splash out but I'm looking at about 6k could go a bit higher... I know I COULD buy a pick up for that but dont know if it will be a money pit or if i'll get a good one in that price range..

Space isn't really an issue for me anymore I mostly just use the chainsaw and a bag of cordless tools. Now that I'm milling on site for the foreseeable future I don't have to transport materials. The trailer will also take care of any extra space I might need from time to time for moving timber stacks etc.

I've had a lot of vehicles in my time and like was said earlier my current van has virtually nothing in it. No electrics whatsoever and it's been my most reliable vehicle to date cover 230,000 miles and has only eaten one clutch and steering pump (and obvious minor work over the years).

I don't expect a 4x4 to be as reliable because from what I've read they just don't seem to be, and that's fine. I need something that can off road a bit. It's mostly dirt tracks and muddy fields but in the winter months the van gets stuck everyday.

Navaras put me off because of supposed engine issues...

I hear good things about L200's but they seem expensive to run and potentially a lot of downtime in repairs...

Hilux seems pretty bullet proof?

Isuzu seem pretty bullet proof too?

I've seen some jeeps that aren't pickups but fit the bill but the pity is they are all autos. I much prefer a manual.

Do you think a lot of 4x4s have repair issues because they live really hard lives? My 4x4 won't be towing vast quanitites of timber or regularly for that matter. It won't be doing hardcore off roading either.

Seems like there aren't really an properly reliable trucks unless your budget is significantly higher, or maybe I'm wrong

I have the new shape Navara and really love it so far. I had no problems with the previous navara either and ran them for 7 years.

The mpg on the new navara is really good too. Looking forward to running a financial report in 12 months time to compare my fuel bill to last years.

2f7887615ceb4f53de841108aca2d9d9.jpg

That dashboard looks as dusty as mine!! :thumbup::thumbup:

no.1 buy Toyota

no.2 never buy any vehicle that's been registered and used in Scotland

no.3 never buy a vehicle that has been used on a cattle farm

no.4 buy Toyota

and as said as long as your not going into the lez (London) stick to the pre cat/non emissisions toyota

I have the new shape Navara and really love it so far. I had no problems with the previous navara either and ran them for 7 years.

The mpg on the new navara is really good too. Looking forward to running a financial report in 12 months time to compare my fuel bill to last years.

2f7887615ceb4f53de841108aca2d9d9.jpg

47.4mpg average is pretty darn good for a 4x4. Do you drive like a granny tailgating a Tesco articulated lorry to get that?

cheers, steve