Grass reinforcement matting?

sandspider

Even with this sort of matting, on very wet ground, you're still going to see tyre tracks. Here I have a reinforced track leading to the top field - it's full of hardcore with a thin layer of soil over the top so you can't see it as the grass has grown through. Tends to look a bit muddy if I drive over it in winter but doesn't make deep ruts

Cheers all.

Tufftrack and similar rubbery sheets seem pricey, and a bit of a faff moving it on and off again. And the grass paving looks like a ton of work! Think I might just try the GroundGuard stuff with minimal ground preparation and see how it goes. Not going to be running artics over it on a regular basis, just the odd load of wood in a trailer / small van, I hope!

Marne, the one you link looks similar to the stuff in my original post, so not sure why that could be laid without work but GG should have surface prep similar to what Craig said?

I have had great success with this; Permeable Plastic Pavers | Gravel Driveway | Car Parks | Porous Paving Grids

Do not be mislead with the scrape, lay & play. A client had some thrown down in a gateway during the summer. By winter it needed digging up and trust me when I say it was a horrible job! The plastic squares are lovely & light to start with but when full of wet mud are horrible to move. Very few were reusable to make it worse as they split when pulling, so a waste of their money.

If you are going to do anything like this please do what the co recommends, ie lay a good sub base.

I can drive my 7.5 ton excavator and/or a fully loaded tractor & trailer over my Bodpaved track-way in any weather. The animals can mill around on it and the grass comes back in the spring. What more do you want!

codlasher

Thanks Cod. Stuff in the link looks good, and a bit cheaper than the Groundguard too.

Alas, the rest of what you say sounds like hard work! I just want to chuck the stuff down and let the grass grow through it! I don't need to drive anything heavy over it, I just want a decent result with as little effort and cost as possible! :001_tongue:

Marne, the one you link looks similar to the stuff in my original post, so not sure why that could be laid without work but GG should have surface prep similar to what Craig said?

All I know is that they are made just to lay them on the lawn. Met them a exhibition, they explained that because of linkage between the tiles the load is shared across a wide area. They are more like very hard rubber than like stiff/brittle plastics.

I believe it's nothing for public traffic but for our purposes, like trailer and van managment on self owned lawn it should be fine.

Still scared by the price which qas about 3£ per tile. But no work to make a lawn usable is nice as well.