Jump to content
  • entries
    101
  • comments
    156
  • views
    11,098

A little help for a beginner please!

Sign in to follow this  
Mitch Reeves

406 views

Hello all!

 

As you'd probably already guessed it I am completely new to this, but boy am I glad I have found this forum as it's content is brilliant and all of your comments are very useful (not like some other forums out there, non arb related where people are slagging off one another)!

 

If I could grab a bit of advice from someone please on how you found it best starting out in the arb world that would ne great! 

 

Once this COVID thing blows over enough i can actually start the beginning stages of the small and medium tree felling plus chainsaw maintenance courses. I've been waiting for months but understandably things keep getting cancelled.

 

I'm in the process of getting the relevant PPE in check but am having trouble with acquiring a decent chainsaw for the course. I have no idea which one to buy as I cannot buy an arb specific chainsaw due to needing the qualification before hand. So your regular top handle chainsaw it is,  but which one!? I want it to perform well enough for arb work at the early stages and for it last a decent amount of time too.

 

Also can anybody recommend me any books on the subject as there is tonnes out there, but which one is actually worth my while? I'm preferably looking for one that identifies different tree diseases and conditions so I can learn the theory behind the trees before I actually start any courses.

 

Any advice would be much appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read my post! 

 

Mitch.

Sign in to follow this  


7 Comments


Recommended Comments

Unless I've misunderstood you, you don't need a top hand saw just yet. You would be better with a small rear handle to start with, IMO.

Share this comment


Link to comment
48 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

Unless I've misunderstood you, you don't need a top hand saw just yet. You would be better with a small rear handle to start with, IMO.

Ok great I'll look into that skyhuck, thank you! Any personal recommendations?

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 hours ago, Mitch Reeves said:

Ok great I'll look into that skyhuck, thank you! Any personal recommendations?

Stihl and Husqvarna are the two big players, with Echo and then Dolmar/Makita not far behind. These are the only manufacturers I would entertain purchasing from, anything else and you're into DIY/homeowner territory not proper professional saws. There's a huge amount of Chinese junk on the market, some of it mediocre and some of it downright awful. If you want to rely on your machines to make a living don't be tempted by any of the cheaper stuff. 

 

I think for the CS31 you want something that will pull a 15" bar, Stihl MS261, Husqvarna 550 XP or Echo CS501sx would be my top picks, all good saws which will last you a long time if looked after. However if £5-600 is too much to start with maybe have a look down-range a little, but I would avoid the real entry level stuff as I've used a few Stihl MS170/180s and they've been pretty unreliable even from brand new. 

Share this comment


Link to comment
18 hours ago, Darkslider said:

Stihl and Husqvarna are the two big players, with Echo and then Dolmar/Makita not far behind. These are the only manufacturers I would entertain purchasing from, anything else and you're into DIY/homeowner territory not proper professional saws. There's a huge amount of Chinese junk on the market, some of it mediocre and some of it downright awful. If you want to rely on your machines to make a living don't be tempted by any of the cheaper stuff. 

 

I think for the CS31 you want something that will pull a 15" bar, Stihl MS261, Husqvarna 550 XP or Echo CS501sx would be my top picks, all good saws which will last you a long time if looked after. However if £5-600 is too much to start with maybe have a look down-range a little, but I would avoid the real entry level stuff as I've used a few Stihl MS170/180s and they've been pretty unreliable even from brand new. 

Thank you for your help Darkslider! I know that Stihl and Husqvarna are the main players but something is drawing me to the Echo. I think mainly because it's japanese built and I'm in the hope that like their cars and other technology it will be very reliable and reasonably priced on maintenance. Thank you for your insight and I'll keep at look out around the £600 region. 

Share this comment


Link to comment
WORDERY.COM

Buy the Collins Tree Guide.

 

This is, in my opinion, the best and only book you'll need on tree ID in the UK. I used it loads when I was getting started. Doesn't touch on pests and diseases much but for ID and information it's second to none. Fairly cheap too.

Edited by chilverslewis

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 06/02/2021 at 09:28, chilverslewis said:
WORDERY.COM

Buy the Collins Tree Guide.

 

This is, in my opinion, the best and only book you'll need on tree ID in the UK. I used it loads when I was getting started. Doesn't touch on pests and diseases much but for ID and information it's second to none. Fairly cheap too.

Great thank you! I have purchased that one! It is very good, just need one now to identify different tree conditions like diseases etc

Share this comment


Link to comment
Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.