Seasonal workers dwelling - twin mobile home....

SteveA

Hello,

we're looking to make our own twin mobile home and just started to put pencil to paper.

According to policy (from UKGov, The Welsh Assembly and our National Park) We don't need to apply for any planning. Which is probably why we couldn't find any applications under their planning register. So yeah, may as well crack on with it....

I'm looking to have it based on an oak frame mostly of 8" x 8" diameter beams (oaks to come from our woods and milled on site).

The oak frame will be all exposed internally... to be insulated and clad on the outside of the frame.

I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with a design due to the build height constraint (see limitations below).... especially to get that exposed oak roof truss vibe.

Constraints:

a) External length measurement must not be more than 20m (the roof is allowed to overhang that measurement).

b) External width measurement must not be more than 6.8m (the roof is allowed to overhang that measurement).

c) The unit may be constructed on site but must be designed so that it can be transported by road in no more than two halves.

d) The internal floor to ceiling height (finished) can be no higher than 305cm.... but the roof thickness above that measurement can be much higher.

The trouble I've got is that I want to build it at maximum width (6.8m) but that results in a shallow roof pitch.... which is where I'm struggling to get that 'oak frame truss' style.

Any ideas welcome!.... :thumbup:

cheers, steve

p.s.... here's my initial (rubbish) sketch:

image.jpg.76a14126a9a663383a983a433b7aa486.jpg

Edited by SteveA

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Build it with the ridge height you want for the pitch you need for the roof covering you are using & then false truss / clad the ceiling to the height limit. Make it easy to remove just in case you get planning / change your mind in the future.

Low ceilings make the place much easier to heat to a sensible comfort level for minimal cost / fuel.

PS,

they will expect it to sit on a substantial sub frame or have an engineers report stating that it is designed to be able to be moved without damage. We initially were fighting the council re our cabin but they refused to accept it was movable for the above reasons. In the end we beat them with the time limits for enforcement.

Our council uses this:-

You MUST make it as two finished sections that are then joined as the last operation. It must be move able when joined.

I know its not what the regs say but its easier to beat them with their own rules if you can.

Build it with the ridge height you want for the pitch you need for the roof covering you are using & then false truss / clad the ceiling to the height limit. Make it easy to remove just in case you get planning / change your mind in the future.

Low ceilings make the place much easier to heat to a sensible comfort level for minimal cost / fuel.

Good idea - like that. :thumbup:

Could be handy if we wanted to retrofit a mezzanine in the future too. Although the National Park planners would probably hate us for having a slightly steeper pitch than the average unit! But nevermind them eh. :thumbup:

cheers, steve

PS,

they will expect it to sit on a substantial sub frame or have an engineers report stating that it is designed to be able to be moved without damage. We initially were fighting the council re our cabin but they refused to accept it was movable for the above reasons. In the end we beat them with the time limits for enforcement.

Our council uses this:-

You MUST make it as two finished sections that are then joined as the last operation. It must be move able when joined.

I know its not what the regs say but its easier to beat them with their own rules if you can.

Good call. I'll run my plans via a local architect/ structural engineer so that could be used as evidence. Will also design the foundation blocks to have regular gaps (for lifting straps to be threaded under).

Last summer I was chatting with someone who'd built a twin unit nearby and the council were giving him grief.... so he said "fine, I'll prove its built in two halves and removable from site. In who's name should I send the invoice to?".... that was the last he heard from them! (the twin unit is still there, looks great!)

cheers, Steve