stablised wood

gobbypunk

Hi Steve, its the very bright vivid colours that I like , lime green ,electric blue, if I can manage to do table top sized planks that would be so amazing , as nobody else seems to be doing it, so if anybody out there has a big vacume bag ., or just wants to have a go at making some give me a shout any more info on this would also be very much appreciated

A lot of the wood turners do it for making brightly coloured / unusual pen blanks. You need quite a lot of vacuum to penetrate the resin deep enough into the wood so that when its turned the colour is still present. The blanks also weigh three or four times their weight as well, so that factor has to be taken into account in the furniture etc you would be making with it. Another thing to consider would be the effect on the cutting edge of tooling and the not so very nice dust that would come off it.

That said, I would think that a big table top would look pretty spectacular as well as being pretty well bomb proof as any spillages would just lie on the top surface and not penetrate it.

Mike

You take timber ideally kiln dried, it works best with spalted timber that absorbs more.

A resin is put into a vacuum along with the wood and it's forced in by pressure and creates a plastic like feel and strength to the wood

Wonder if something like this would work, for smaller samples? Vacuum Storage Space Saving Bag Vac Bag Vacum Bags Seal Bags Travel Suitcase | eBay

A lot of the wood turners do it for making brightly coloured / unusual pen blanks. You need quite a lot of vacuum to penetrate the resin deep enough into the wood so that when its turned the colour is still present. The blanks also weigh three or four times their weight as well, so that factor has to be taken into account in the furniture etc you would be making with it. Another thing to consider would be the effect on the cutting edge of tooling and the not so very nice dust that would come off it.

That said, I would think that a big table top would look pretty spectacular as well as being pretty well bomb proof as any spillages would just lie on the top surface and not penetrate it.

Mike

It's surprising the amount of vacuum a house-hold cleaner generates. I watched Mythbusters pick up a car with the vacuum generated by one recently. That's an awful lot of suction:biggrin:

Hi Steve, its the very bright vivid colours that I like , lime green ,electric blue, if I can manage to do table top sized planks that would be so amazing , as nobody else seems to be doing it, so if anybody out there has a big vacume bag ., or just wants to have a go at making some give me a shout any more info on this would also be very much appreciated

there is a good reason that no one does planks in bright blue or green, they don't exist.

as for introducing colours into large boards i'm not sure how well that will turn out but i'd love to see what you do. i'm guessing it will be less wasteful if you were to make the table first and then get the colour on to it.

what woods do you have in mind for the table?