Glueing in knots?

jamesd

I've got a few knots etc In some pieces of wood I would like to make chopping boards and perhaps a table top. What can I use to fill in the gaps and make sure the knots do not come out? I've heard of resin being used, would this work? And where can I get some from?

Cheers, James.

for he chopping board i'd be tempted to leave them as nature intended myself but then i do like the rustic touch.

for the table it really depends on the size of the knots in my opinion, if they are gaping cracks then filling them might look odd but if they are thin slivers then i fill with superglue and fine sanding dust.

i've no idea where to buy resin but i'm sure someone will.

you could try the toolpost.

The ToolPost | wood turning tools | woodcarving tools

Epoxy resin or epoxy putty is worth considering. I've just used one branded 'Milliput' to fill cracks on a slab table top. Comes as a two part putty which are kneaded together and mixed then pressed into the crack slightly proud. Sets overnight, sets hard and easily sanded. Comes in several colours. I've been impressed with it.

For the tabletop why not make the knotholes etc a feature? fill with 2-part epoxy and some pretty-stuff, turquoise or metal flecks. there have been a couple of threads on this form about them within the past year or so.
:thumbup1:

The 2-part transparent epoxy resin is great stuff, can be sanded and polished to a glass finish and will fill massive holes without shrinkage issues - really amazing stuff. You could embed a small crab or seashell in the holes to add interest.

:thumbup1:

The 2-part transparent epoxy resin is great stuff, can be sanded and polished to a glass finish and will fill massive holes without shrinkage issues - really amazing stuff. You could embed a small crab or seashell in the holes to add interest.

Thanks for the reply, I like the idea of using the transparent stuff. Got a supplier you regularly use or a particular brand you could recommend me?

I buy the cheap stuff from the pound stores, for added sparkle mix in metal powder (cheap on Fleabay) but if the hole is deep put the powder in a second layer as it will sink if a slow setting epoxy and leave the top a little bland.

Capture.JPG.edabe25d5fee8b7afae6489ead11aab9.JPG