Mortising Chestnut posts- carving bar?

Matthew Storrs

I want to mortise a load of posts and be able to do so for future jobs. I currently use a standard bar but it not great because of kickback but also it makes a quite big hole

[ame]

[/ame]

This looks like a handy attachment but can't find any for sale over here so donyou a carving bar would do alot better job than a standard bar?

Cheers

The mortise holes are way to large. That will cause you issues using a standard 9'6" chestnut rail. Or any rail for that matter.

Use a chain Mortiser. Hire one if you don't want to fork out on one straight away.

Much better tool for the job.

theres a few jigs and devices out there for it . a link to one of the videos some friends and members from the green woodworking group took when they come and found me working out in the woods. have had a lot of practice over the years so can make it look easier than it is but just to show what possible with a lot of hours doing this job but be care full as pointed out big risk of kickback when plunging [ame]

[/ame]

I do a lot of joints with a 16" Sugihara carving bar. It a 'dime' tip but one of those that RobD had which had a slightly larger than 'dime' nose. Not as big as a quarter, but not tiny.

It works excellent for this kind of thing but it is tapered along it's length, so you have to make sure the cuts are parallel top and bottom. Being a 'dime' tip you have to run 1/4" chain but this leaves a cleaner cut, so no real downside.

Another advantage I can see is that, if you have marked the mortice, it's a lot easier to see the lines without that contraption in the way. Depth I control by only plunging as far as a certain letter on the bar. At 2 years old and used daily, the lettering is still visible :)

It is much easier and safer to plunge cut with a carving bar. :) :)

WADKIN MF CHAIN AND HOLLOW CHISEL MORTICER SIDE BY SIDE MORTISER MACHINE | eBay

This would do the job. Assuming you have a workshop 3 phase and want to do all your posts before you get to site.

Never had much luck doing it with a regular saw bar. The smaller tip husky bars work better than STIHL ones but the hole always come out a little large. Don't have a carving one to try with. Best done the right way before hand.