Monkey Puzzle for sale

Tully

Ive got a monkey puzzle stem for sale in Norfolk. Its 50 foot by 80 cm diameter for the best part. Its blown over in Doris so we have been asked to clear it. If you know anyone who might like the timber please let me know.

The tree is currently in Brundal. Money wise im not sure ive heard some varying figures but really its only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. Ive got some turning clubs coming back to me but ideally having someone take the lot in one go would be useful.

the turning clubs will only want the top half of the tree and usually only the bits that have the branches on to make nice looking bowls.

the base deserves to be milled in my opinion and at that diameter should make good timber, as long as you keep a good supply of lubricant on the saw it won't gum up that badly.

The tree is currently in Brundal. Money wise im not sure ive heard some varying figures but really its only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. Ive got some turning clubs coming back to me but ideally having someone take the lot in one go would be useful.

Wood turners are the worst.

I've never thought of monkey puzzle as a useable or valuable timber. If I'm unfortunate enough to have to fell/dismantle one it gets cut up and dropped on the drive at one of our free firewood types.

Have i got this wrong? Should I be hauling the stems to my yard to season?

Sorry for the derail.

I've never thought of monkey puzzle as a useable or valuable timber. If I'm unfortunate enough to have to fell/dismantle one it gets cut up and dropped on the drive at one of our free firewood types.

Have i got this wrong? Should I be hauling the stems to my yard to season?

Sorry for the derail.

yep i think you have to wrong, its quite valuable by all accounts. Wouldn't waste my time with wood turners though

I've milled some mp.

It's quite a boring looking timber tbh, very light in colour, with very straight and even grain. It's only where the branch whorls are/were that it gets interesting.

The knots are super hard to mill through.

The timber is Heavy!

It's not bad in use, quite easy to work finely.

It's not suitable for outdoor use, so you've got a plain light softwood which means you're competing with all the cheap softwoods...

The only thing it may excell in is if you can mill it without knots it would be a good one for sauna benches.

The sanded timber is strong and soft feeling without splintering.

Very niche market though.