Brown oak burr value as blanks

Root and branch sw

Hmmm - bit of a piece of string question that - a bit like 'I've got a medium sized tree in the garden - how much to take it down?' ;)

You need to be more specific and supply plenty of pics with measurements in order to get values.

Things that influence the value are - are you looking at a green wet wood price or dry/% of burr per piece/size of piece/prescence of decay and staining etc etc

:001_smile:

Well. If I could post a picture I would. The stick is 1/4 sawn at mo. In 6ft lengths as big as my crane would lift. 500kg so blanks could be as big as you like. The tree was 5ft accross the butt. There is some decay but it very brown. The end of this film might give you a idea.

Edited by Root and branch sw

if you cut it into blanks you must seal the ends of the timber as you cut, i found the shrinkage quite extreme on the brown oak i've had which resulted in bad splits. keep it out of the wind as you want it to dry nice and slowly.

once dry good quality brown oak should be about 80-90 quid for top notch stuff so work out your price by volume.

if you intend to sell as green then £20ft3 is the most you can charge in my opinion as the buyer has to season it with a huge risk of splits.