Which oil/polish to use on chopping board?

jamesd

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you use the following they will cure and not leave oily marks where they are placed

Osmo top oil

Walnut

Tung

Pure linseed

If you use mineral oils or 'top' oils they do not cure and fail to protect the wood.

I use osmo on all food items, two coats with 8hrs between gives great proofing.

Ok so osmo top oil seems my best bet? I know you said not to use 'top' oils but I presume they just call it that for done reason as you sat it cures and doesn't leave marks? Is ting oil ok to use on oak someone told me you shouldn't use it on oak????

Ok so osmo top oil seems my best bet? I know you said not to use 'top' oils but I presume they just call it that for done reason as you sat it cures and doesn't leave marks? Is ting oil ok to use on oak someone told me you shouldn't use it on oak????

The osmo will cure very fast and give good water repellence and stain proofing.

Mineral oils never fully cure but ikea and others sell them for tops and boards as people don't know the difference.

Have used tung on all woods with no problem, one thing to think using tung and walnut is any nut allergies for end users? Very low chance of reaction but something to consider.